Mechanic in Blacksburg VA Area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawmkw1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My son has my 1996 Tahoe at Virginia Tech and it has begun making an intermittent racket. He just drove down over the weekend and this racket started after he got there. I'm 7 hours away and looking to find someone in the area that could take a look and potentially diagnose. This racket sounds like a loose sheet of metal, a flywheel bolt, or a catastrophic engine failure except that it is intermittent and louder when idling. So possibly the inside of one of the catalytic converters has come apart and is rattling? Any recommendation of someone is appreciated. Nasty sounding file attached.

Attachments

• Image from iOS.mp4.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any CEL? Does sound like catalyst rattling inside the converter. Does not sound like heat shield. Could be the flywheel but you said it happens at idle and a flywheel can be louder when accel. Take the belt off and see what happens but without being there, I am just guessing at catalyst rattling around.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It would be best to know if that noise came from around the engine or under vehicle near the cats?

OP
OP
S

sawmkw1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what my son says, it sounds like the area under the passenger set, or where the passenger side cat is. I've asked him to do the screwdriver stethoscope test.
Thanks for the replies.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Shut engine off and use a fist or rubber mallet and bang on the catalytic converter(s) body and listen for the rattles inside.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I used to belong to a group and site when I had my shop, iatn, they have a site and list associates around the world you might be able to find a nearby shop through them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar