Mayflies.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16vcabman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually GM is stumped on this mayfly problem. The big issue is the paint is reacting to mayflies. So your truck is not damaged, it's an issue with GM not knowing what is in the chemical makeup of the mayfly that is staining any of their paint.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel around door edges. If rough it has been repainted. Usually it’s the tape line. Factory paint will be smooth all over. Also check door jams for overspray. Another indication. Now is a great time of the year. Sun angle is low and will show different shades if it has been painted. Move the car around so sun hits all sides. Step back and look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
As luck would have it, I was driving home a little after 5pm today and passed the truck with my Tahoe headed to the dealership, so I turned around and met it at the dealer to watch the Tahoe get unloaded. Drok's pictures are maybe a bit cleaner than mine is... it's filthy. The dealer is getting it in first thing to do their PDI and clean it up and I should have it by noon.

@EyeDreamt
Did you pick up the truck yesterday after all? Post some pics.

RottsRoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I purchased a '21 Z71 Tahoe that was supposed to be on it's way to the dealer (said it'd be there in a week or two) back on August 24th. Found out today that it got to the Midlothian lot on Aug 13 and hasn't moved since then. Dealer said that it's currently on hold due to the "the Mayfly issue". They said they were reaching out to the regional sales manager to see if they could get it released and expedited, but didn't hear anything more about that this afternoon.

Anyone else have their vehicle delayed for the same issue? We've already paid the sales tax and have the license plates for it and the Title arrives from the DMV tomorrow... only thing missing is the vehicle.... usually it's the other way around.

The Mayfly issue has been a huge problem for the new GM 2021 rollout.
Here is a link to an article on GM Authority that talks about it:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/texas-mayflies-bugging-gm-full-size-suv-deliveries/

OP
OP
EyeDreamt

EyeDreamt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@EyeDreamt
Did you pick up the truck yesterday after all? Post some pics.

Yep! Sorry, been enjoying it all weekend. They didn’t deliver it until 7pm Friday evening... dealer took their sweet time. I got there at 6 and it was still filthy on the outside, but did have the side steps installed and had been through the service dept for their PDI. Sales guy had me leave and go have dinner then come back so he could get it cleaned. I was just done dealing with them at that point so let it be and came back, let him do his whole “here’s how everything works” process with my wife... I’d watched enough videos and read the manual.

Saturday went ook the family to a “fun farm” about 45 minutes away picking up my dad to go too, everyone was comfortable and enjoyed the ride. Exactly what the family needed. The cameras are awesome, love the auto high beams. Overall very happy.

For the most part the paint is in decent shape, there are a few places that look essentially like fingerprints but smudged into the clear coat. They don’t wipe off. The truck will be going to get a full paint correction and ceramic coated next week so I’m not incredibly worried. No signs of repainting or paint work at all so that’s good.

Got it tinted today - 5% all around and 50% on the windshield with ceramic tint... looks so much better.

9C2ACFFD-B16B-4F99-A972-3B5AA9F9BAD3.jpeg C596F22B-018C-40B4-AAE7-43C0B0F7E607.jpeg F09C54DF-1563-480E-9851-B33BEA410499.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yep! Sorry, been enjoying it all weekend. They didn’t deliver it until 7pm Friday evening... dealer took their sweet time. I got there at 6 and it was still filthy on the outside, but did have the side steps installed and had been through the service dept for their PDI. Sales guy had me leave and go have dinner then come back so he could get it cleaned. I was just done dealing with them at that point so let it be and came back, let him do his whole “here’s how everything works” process with my wife... I’d watched enough videos and read the manual.

Saturday went ook the family to a “fun farm” about 45 minutes away picking up my dad to go too, everyone was comfortable and enjoyed the ride. Exactly what the family needed. The cameras are awesome, love the auto high beams. Overall very happy.

For the most part the paint is in decent shape, there are a few places that look essentially like fingerprints but smudged into the clear coat. They don’t wipe off. The truck will be going to get a full paint correction and ceramic coated next week so I’m not incredibly worried. No signs of repainting or paint work at all so that’s good.

Got it tinted today - 5% all around and 50% on the windshield with ceramic tint... looks so much better.

View attachment 258336 View attachment 258337 View attachment 258338
I see the GTR--Just sayin'.

Steveo123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious, has anyone that has ordered or has a deposit on a built order received there truck yet? I put a deposit on a built order over a month ago and it is still stuck in quality control/shipping.

Is it really because of mayflies or something else holding them up?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Curious, has anyone that has ordered or has a deposit on a built order received there truck yet? I put a deposit on a built order over a month ago and it is still stuck in quality control/shipping.

Is it really because of mayflies or something else holding them up?

Ummm, did you read the thread?

:hmmm2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cayukon