Max trailering package question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it also have different rear end ratio's? I know the previous year Max Trailering packages did.

Sofa6A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you think its a DFM time bomb why would you buy it at all? The current outdated Sequoia is selling above list in my area so if the market is still tight when the new one gets here I would imagine it will as well.
Good question. I didn’t realize how widespread the problem is until after I placed my order and started reading about it on the forums. It’s borderline negligent that GM knows about the problem and hasn’t done anything proactive about it until the recent class action lawsuit.

How about you? Do you think about your engine grenading from a failed lifter or bent pushrod?

And I won’t be buying from any dealer for any brand if there is a market adjustment. Costs me $0 to wait.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. I didn’t realize how widespread the problem is until after I placed my order and started reading about it on the forums. It’s borderline negligent that GM knows about the problem and hasn’t done anything proactive about it until the recent class action lawsuit.

How about you? Do you think about your engine grenading from a failed lifter or bent pushrod?

And I won’t be buying from any dealer for any brand if there is a market adjustment. Costs me $0 to wait.
The lifter problems are really two separate issues. I have no doubts about a higher than average failure rate for the engines built during the time period GM identified and blamed on a supplier. For everything built outside of that time period -- people blame DFM/AFM for a high failure rate -- but i havent seen anything to quantify that rate. I personally doubt its anything over a fraction of a percent. Maybe its higher than the industry average -- or non DFM/AFM motors - but that could still mean a low overall failure rate. And remember GM builds hundreds of thousands of these motors each year - most owners get through trouble free.

I love this forum and learn alot on here. But it can taint your ownership experience. Bad experiences are WAY over-represented (just like on any other forum). So to answer your question, sure I think about the lifters failing, my air suspension collapsing, the automatic assist steps binding, the sunroof jamming, the overhead console blowing out and on and on. I still think the overwhelming odds are non of the that stuff happens.

You mentioned jumping to a Sequoia and sure maybe Toyota does a better job with initial quality -- but the new Sequoia will have a all new twin turbocharged engine with an electric motor, all new air suspension, and lots of onew tech. I wouldnt be surprised if there are teething issues there too.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned jumping to a Sequoia and sure maybe Toyota does a better job with initial quality -- but the new Sequoia will have a all new twin turbocharged engine with an electric motor, all new air suspension, and lots of onew tech. I wouldnt be surprised if there are teething issues there too

If the 2022 Tundra forums are any indication, it could be a rocky start for the 2023 Sequoia. Out of the gate, the '22 Tundra has a major issue with turbo wastegate actuators.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lifter problems are really two separate issues. I have no doubts about a higher than average failure rate for the engines built during the time period GM identified and blamed on a supplier. For everything built outside of that time period -- people blame DFM/AFM for a high failure rate -- but i havent seen anything to quantify that rate. I personally doubt its anything over a fraction of a percent. Maybe its higher than the industry average -- or non DFM/AFM motors - but that could still mean a low overall failure rate. And remember GM builds hundreds of thousands of these motors each year - most owners get through trouble free.

I love this forum and learn alot on here. But it can taint your ownership experience. Bad experiences are WAY over-represented (just like on any other forum). So to answer your question, sure I think about the lifters failing, my air suspension collapsing, the automatic assist steps binding, the sunroof jamming, the overhead console blowing out and on and on. I still think the overwhelming odds are non of the that stuff happens.

You mentioned jumping to a Sequoia and sure maybe Toyota does a better job with initial quality -- but the new Sequoia will have a all new twin turbocharged engine with an electric motor, all new air suspension, and lots of onew tech. I wouldnt be surprised if there are teething issues there too.

The Yoda also doesn't seem as comfortable. Bunch of good TFL YouTube videos on it. I noticed the 3rd row is not great, second row seat don't slide. Strange 3rd row sliding from trunk and cargo setup... Turbos do great things, but over time not sure. On a diesel yes, gasser, ehh...

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is the rear differential on these 2021+ vehicles?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it.

I curious whether it was a 8.6, 8.8 or 9.75" diff.
None of the above. It's an independent rear suspension so it uses a different differential than past generations or the pickups. That said, I note that the 5.3 uses a different GM part number for the rear diff than the 6.2 and 3.0 do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs