Manual Transmission Buttons Not Working!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali 6L80
Transmission replaced with remanufactured unit last year. Manual shift mode has not worked ever since. I've had it back in the shop regularly to trouble shoot, pick up on the weekend, take it back. According to the shop: the shift buttons signal registers, but something is interrupting it in the computer. They have replaced the TCM, BCM, Shift Lever, had a programmer come in, etc. Programmer was supposed to come back this week, but didn't show, so I'm taking it back again next week. Tow haul button works. If you shift into M it will register and display the gear and hold that gear. No clue. I recently started getting a service suspension system message. I think it's probably the air ride. I did a Magneride and Air-ride delete sometime after the new transmission went it. The compressor would kick on when I started it for a while, but it quit. I haven't really investigated that at all. They think maybe that's interrupting it? It wasn't an issue before. I've also had the dreaded intermittent service stabilitrak service traction control message. I think I've exhausted about every option for that. It hasn't come on lately, but it kind of came and went randomly before 3 transmissions ago. I've done everything I could find for that little issue and maybe finally have it fixed - just replaced the coils and plugs, i've replaced the throttle body, delete sensors on all the magneride and air ride, replaced wheel speed sensors, replaced the VVT solenoid, there's more I've forgotten I'm sure. Now I have this new suspension system message. maybe that's it, but I had hella check engine lights and messages before and never had issues with the manual transmission button.

For what it's worth I had the transmission rebuilt prior to this (by the same place) and it lasted 3 months. I had asked them to program the speedometer for larger tires (33s). They couldn't get it to program. When I got it back that time I tried to use a tuner and couldn't get it to work either. I thought it was probably that the tuner wasn't compatible and returned it and they just weren't trying. When I got the new transmission, I was able to adjust the speedometer with a tuner no problem (it was a different brand).

It's driving me crazy. It's not a huge deal to just drive in automatic, but we live in the mountains and I tow occasionally and being able to adjust it is helpful at times.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali 6L80
Transmission replaced with remanufactured unit last year. Manual shift mode has not worked ever since. I've had it back in the shop regularly to trouble shoot, pick up on the weekend, take it back. According to the shop: the shift buttons signal registers, but something is interrupting it in the computer. They have replaced the TCM, BCM, Shift Lever, had a programmer come in, etc. Programmer was supposed to come back this week, but didn't show, so I'm taking it back again next week. Tow haul button works. If you shift into M it will register and display the gear and hold that gear. No clue. I recently started getting a service suspension system message. I think it's probably the air ride. I did a Magneride and Air-ride delete sometime after the new transmission went it. The compressor would kick on when I started it for a while, but it quit. I haven't really investigated that at all. They think maybe that's interrupting it? It wasn't an issue before. I've also had the dreaded intermittent service stabilitrak service traction control message. I think I've exhausted about every option for that. It hasn't come on lately, but it kind of came and went randomly before 3 transmissions ago. I've done everything I could find for that little issue and maybe finally have it fixed - just replaced the coils and plugs, i've replaced the throttle body, delete sensors on all the magneride and air ride, replaced wheel speed sensors, replaced the VVT solenoid, there's more I've forgotten I'm sure. Now I have this new suspension system message. maybe that's it, but I had hella check engine lights and messages before and never had issues with the manual transmission button.

For what it's worth I had the transmission rebuilt prior to this (by the same place) and it lasted 3 months. I had asked them to program the speedometer for larger tires (33s). They couldn't get it to program. When I got it back that time I tried to use a tuner and couldn't get it to work either. I thought it was probably that the tuner wasn't compatible and returned it and they just weren't trying. When I got the new transmission, I was able to adjust the speedometer with a tuner no problem (it was a different brand).

It's driving me crazy. It's not a huge deal to just drive in automatic, but we live in the mountains and I tow occasionally and being able to adjust it is helpful at times.

Get a Tech-2 and a subscription to the shop manual and wiring diagrams via AllDataDIY. Then begin the trouble shooting process the right way.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^ Otherwise, you're just throwing money for parts at the truck, which you've been doing. A Tech 2 will cost you ~$300, and you will be able to zero in and solve just about any issue associated with the truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"the shift buttons signal registers, but something is interrupting it in the computer"
you already have the answer, let the trans shop sort it out.
the service suspension would not effect shifting, unless it was problem with the tranmission-which would also need to be addressed by the trans shop.
the shop should have a scanner that would tell you the reason for the service suspension, that could be a internal fault with the trans.

OP
OP
mrpeterclark

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"the shift buttons signal registers, but something is interrupting it in the computer"
you already have the answer, let the trans shop sort it out.
the service suspension would not effect shifting, unless it was problem with the tranmission-which would also need to be addressed by the trans shop.
the shop should have a scanner that would tell you the reason for the service suspension, that could be a internal fault with the trans.
I am letting them sort it out. I was just hoping someone here has run into this since they can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve probably taken it back a dozen times.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am letting them sort it out. I was just hoping someone here has run into this since they can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve probably taken it back a dozen times.
no that's a new one to me, I have had shops accidentally leave things un plugged but nothing that would stop it from shifting, probably something in the TCM or communication with the TCM would be my guess. If you have a tech2 you can probably go in there and verify the shifter buttons are working, it might even have a menu to see if the command is being sent I haven't dug that deep in the transmission settings with mine yet..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If they keep scratching their head and kicking the can down the road and you lack the time or inclination to discover the problem yourself, pay the $150 or so and let the dealer tell you what's wrong. They apply the diagnostic fee to the repair if you have them fix it.

OP
OP
mrpeterclark

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it works after this last time. They said at one point there were some wires repaired and that maybe when they tried to program it before the wires were repaired the programming didn't take and when the re-programmed it last time it worked?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it works after this last time. They said at one point there were some wires repaired and that maybe when they tried to program it before the wires were repaired the programming didn't take and when the re-programmed it last time it worked?
Good! Thanks for following up!

joshjj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've got a similar situation going on right now with my 09 Tahoe. Just had a reman 6l80 from I got https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=6L80 shipped to the shop from those guys. This time nothing in the gauge cluster is reading correctly. Think it could be the same problem?