Manual lift gate not opening fully

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So have manual gate. Replaced the struts with factory spec. When opening it doesn't raise up all the way. Have to push it up all the way. Stays up no problem thou. Anyone know if any kind of adjustment? Is there some kind of spring assist also. Thanks in advance

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the manual rear gate setup, but in theory, the replacement of the lift struts with OEM struts should have solved the issue. Where did you purchase the lift struts?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only thing that limits the lift is the struts or binding hinges. Sounds like at least one of the struts is faulty. I could not get Genuine GM struts when I did mine and ended up with a member recommendation from @iamdub or @Doubeleive IIRC, and got Strongarm brand and they worked flawlessly. I know you do have to make sure you get the correct extended and collapsed length strut. What does, "Replaced the struts with factory spec." mean?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So have manual gate. Replaced the struts with factory spec. When opening it doesn't raise up all the way. Have to push it up all the way. Stays up no problem thou. Anyone know if any kind of adjustment? Is there some kind of spring assist also. Thanks in advance
Faulty strut(s). They also act like that when it's cold outside sometimes.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As @Doubeleive said, I get mine about 1/3rd way up and let go and it goes all the way up. The new ones I have are a little over a year old and still, I have to use a bit of effort for me to get reached up there and use force to get pulled and pushed down to close. I have added these Strongarm units to other customer's vehicles, that I work on, and they love that they go up like they do but do complain about what it takes to close them. My girl does on her TrailBlazer, too. She jokes that she is building up arm strength and is gonna "knock my block off" because I stand back and giggle every time she closes that hatch. She does not curse but she is learning new words for names to call me.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As the others said- it's the struts. They may not be defective/faulty, but insufficient for the application by their design.

What brand? They might advertise them as "factory spec", but what specifications are they referring to? It's clearly not all of 'em. They might have nailed the physical dimensions of the factory-spec'ed struts (collapsed and extended lengths, the mounting types, etc. but failed to meet the lifting factor.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced mine twice, once aftermarket and once oem. Both times the lift gate needs help past half way.
Perhaps it has something to do with wear or stiction in the hinges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo