manual climate control ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those with manual climate control, do you have digital back seat climate control? And do you have rear seat heaters?
I am planning to convert to manual, but want to make sure everything else will still work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those with manual climate control, do you have digital back seat climate control? And do you have rear seat heaters?
I am planning to convert to manual, but want to make sure everything else will still work.
I cannot say for sure but I am fairly certain the lower trims with manual control have no rear seat heater and certainly not digital rear controls, that's just how it goes

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont like small buttons for a/c, temp, and fan.

The other thing I wish I could change is the recirculation button. It seems to turn off whenever in defrost mode, feet mode, after turning off AC, and after some time.. I'm guessing its some BS 'safety' feature?

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every gm does that. even the old manual controls from the 80s cars wouldn't let you recirculate in anything but max ac.

definitely check that the manual will do what you want, cause I'm pretty sure it's going to do all the same things. gm will not let you put recirculated air at the windows. it is considered a safety thing since it doesn't really work very well using it. I had a old 91 Isuzu that would let you do it. at first I was like sweet, I can finally control my own car. only to figure out it doesn't really work that way. it just fogs up and you have to manually turn off recirculation.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a funny side note, my wife fiddles with the small ac buttons while driving it. I can't figure out why. hit auto, set to the temp i want and it does its thing. if i want cooler I click cooler, warmer. she absolutely refuses to do that for some reason. I don't get it haha.

I do get the recirculate button thou, it's annoying but if you turn it on, it will cycle as needed. i have seen it turn it back in itself in auto after a restart. just not for the first bit when you get in the car. if it feels it needs it to hit the temp you want, it will do it.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old toyota's would let me recirculate when I wanted, also seemed to defog the windshield faster that way when raining. (A/C on of course!)
In the Tahoe, many times I set to recirculate, then 15 minutes down the highway I'm smelling some truck exhaust and it's off again. Didn't change the defog or A/C mode or anything. Just this morning I pushed that damn button like 10 times in a row before it finally set. Perhaps coming off defog mode it does an afterblow type thing...or my recirc motor is worn out and it's spring loaded to outside air.

I'm seriously thinking about disabling the recirc flap. I can open windows when outside air is needed..

As far as fiddling with controls, out of 30 cars I have owned, the Tahoe is the worst. (along with an '01 BMW 740i) It can be normal temp but I'm hot, need full fan. Normal temp but I'm cold, need full heat. Once I'm good, need to turn heat/fan down. 2 seconds of total operation now takes 20 seconds of button holding. The fact that every auto control has worn out buttons means it's not just me!

I haven't seen any other type of rear climate control (yet).. but looking at the wiring diagrams the manual controls have no PCAT (front, rear - Passenger Control Air Temp?) or DATs (front, rear, lower, floor left, floor right, panel left, panel right, - Duct Air Temp?) and OAT (outside air temp).. Not real clear on the rear controls but the manual controls can use integrated rear seat audio, or there maybe another control that looks like it would be connected to dials... Not sure how the manual version can use digital temp control without temp sensors...

manhvac.jpg

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine only gets the fan speed adjusted as desired and temp only has 2 settings 60 in the summer and 74 in the winter. auto function works great in the winter, summer time not so much it's just simply too hot here so it stays on max ac. recirculation is off by default every key cycle. I only use recirc if it is really cold out and I can feel it blowing cold air on my legs
you might want to scan yours with a tech2 or comparable to see if there are any bcm codes for the hvac, shouldn't have to screw around with holding the button for 20 seconds

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think about that. there is a reset all hvac doors in the tech 2. it might help

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old toyota's would let me recirculate when I wanted, also seemed to defog the windshield faster that way when raining. (A/C on of course!)
In the Tahoe, many times I set to recirculate, then 15 minutes down the highway I'm smelling some truck exhaust and it's off again. Didn't change the defog or A/C mode or anything. Just this morning I pushed that damn button like 10 times in a row before it finally set. Perhaps coming off defog mode it does an afterblow type thing...or my recirc motor is worn out and it's spring loaded to outside air.

I'm seriously thinking about disabling the recirc flap. I can open windows when outside air is needed..

As far as fiddling with controls, out of 30 cars I have owned, the Tahoe is the worst. (along with an '01 BMW 740i) It can be normal temp but I'm hot, need full fan. Normal temp but I'm cold, need full heat. Once I'm good, need to turn heat/fan down. 2 seconds of total operation now takes 20 seconds of button holding. The fact that every auto control has worn out buttons means it's not just me!

I haven't seen any other type of rear climate control (yet).. but looking at the wiring diagrams the manual controls have no PCAT (front, rear - Passenger Control Air Temp?) or DATs (front, rear, lower, floor left, floor right, panel left, panel right, - Duct Air Temp?) and OAT (outside air temp).. Not real clear on the rear controls but the manual controls can use integrated rear seat audio, or there maybe another control that looks like it would be connected to dials... Not sure how the manual version can use digital temp control without temp sensors...

View attachment 402310

haha that sounds about right. when I got my truck it was the only one I ever saw that had perfect buttons. I was surprised and almost ordered some of the stickers then, but I said eh. we'll just level it on auto and be careful, if they lasted this long it will be fine.
not a month of the wife driving it and all the buttons are worn off like ugh really, what are you doing with these things. so I ordered the stickers to cover them up and save what's left. it looks OK ish, but I know they went from mint to trashed. kind bothers me but what can ya do.

I do agree with the smells, I can't believe how bad fumes come in these trucks. I thought maybe it was just mine. reminds me of riding a motorcycle where you smell everything but you're more stuck behind it longer. here it's alway some old Ford work trucks, I deal with them at work so I know them mod motors run like crap at the slightest thing but man, do they all have pull the cats too. fak.

you can try this, put the temp at 66 and just manually control the fan speed. it looks to me like if you're requesting a temp it can't easily get to, it stays in recirculate longer or at least doesn't click out of it. or just go all the way to 60 haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo