Making dubble running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ActSwedish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Maybe there are threads on this, but since my English is´nt the best maybe you can help me out finding a thread about it or telling me if it is doable or not.

The running lights are always on when I start and drive the car. (The ones beside the high beam) I also have lights next to the turn signals, that are glowing.(They are under the running lights)
I would like them to have a white light, dont know what they are called, parking lights perhaps? Instead of just glowing.

Is there a easy way of doing this, and hope you understand what im getting at :)

Regards

Tommy

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like your LOWBEAMS are coming on with the DRLs. DRLS are usually white bulbs, next to the running light/parking light, but some people use amber bulbs.

Did someone change this themselves, or is that the requirement for sweden?

In the US the lowbeam does NOT come on until it is dark.

OP
OP
ActSwedish

ActSwedish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you lowbeams was the word I was looking for :)

And yes to your question. In Sweden there is/was a law that all cars should have their lowbeams always on while driving no matter the time of the day.

I´ve had several German Imported cars and In them you have to turn on the lowbeam when you want it. The same as you have in the U.S.

I found I picture I had of my car with the lights on.

Is there a easy way to make the lower ones brighter ?

lblOZIsmb.jpg

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not really swedish. They are dimmer and more diffuse (spread out) than headlights on purpose.

You can put an HID kit in there, but that is probably no more legal in sweden than in the US.

What i did instead was install amber bulbs so they match the normal park/run next to them, and actually look about the same driving as the amber DRLS on the new Vettes.

-----------------------------------
Alternately you could probably get rid of the DRL completely (your headlights are legally your DRL now), and wire the DRL location as a second park/turn right there behind the parking light.

It uses the same dual filament bulb as the park turn, so it PROBABLY has the same 3 wires since DRL = both on at once. Cut the harness a foot back, wire those wires to the turn & park and ground on the socket next to it and you've got double park and double turn signals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ActSwedish

ActSwedish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, yeah I´ll go looking for an amber bulb. Does the turn signal lamps on your cars light up when you drive, not flashing just constantly lit?

I had a U.S imported Buick Park Avenue, and on that car the turn signals lamps had a constant glow when you were driving. Looked kinda cool. I´ve seen some other U.S cars that have the same. Here it´s illegal :(

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, ours look like yours, just without the low beams being on.

We are not required to have a daytime running light in the US.

OP
OP
ActSwedish

ActSwedish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx Eagle for taking the time to explain it all to me :)
Im gonna go look for amber bulbs, and later on get some projector headlights from the U.S and get rid of the orange from the turn signals.

Regards

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ActSwedish: I suppose you have european version of the Hoe - so do I. I reprogram my Hoe's BCM (body control module) with domestic (USA-version) software. Now I have working DRL's (but unfortunately rear fog light doesn't work anymore - i fixed that with relay and few feet of wire). Now when it's bright outside, DRL's turn on (the same bulb as parking light, but much more brighter) and when it gets dark, low beams turn on automatically.
If your garage knows what they're doing, this can be done (I work for official GMUS dealer in Finland).