Major Vacuum Leak?!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'98customchevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so there are a few questions within this thread that I will ask!! I hope my information would be detailed enough hopefully to make everyone's responses easily accurate. Ok so here we go,
I just recently replace my fuel injection system on my 1998 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 liter. I needed a Fuel Pressure Regulator and when I took the upper intake manifold off I figured while I was there why not go ahead and replace the injectors that had 230,000 miles on them. So I did and I used the Delphi kit from summit that replaces the old spider with the new spider injection that has the little electronics on each of the individual injectors. So after seating all of them and making sure they "clicked" down I installed everything back on the truck nice and snug. I start the truck now and I have a very large vacuum leak. I have tried tracing it with the brake cleaner trick (applying a light amount of brake cleaner to sections of the different vacuum lines waiting to hear the engine rev up as an indication of the brake cleaner entering the system.) Well I still have the vacuum leak and I am wondering.
A) The leak sounds as though it is coming from the back passenger side of the motor, I can hear it somewhat clearly but cannot seem to pinpoint it! Does anyone know what exactly the vacuum line from the firewall that runs along the passenger side of the valve cover and then cuts under the air cleaner assembly and then meets the sensor that sits 1/2 down the drivers side intake?
B) I have a P0300 check engine (general misfire) code that keeps popping up. Can this be caused by the vacuum leak? Because the truck will fire right up and hold idle which makes me believe that I did the fuel system correctly when installing it. But once the truck fires she will spike up and down on idle (ranging from 800rpm in park to 1700rpm then back down to 800 and so on and so forth.) Can the vacuum leak be causing all of these issues? And also when I put the truck in gear she definitely struggles hard to stay running, as though to exaggerate the same issue in park but adding the load of the transmission.

I appreciate anyone's help and feedback! It is greatly appreciated and I just wanted to get this truck back on the road, considering she has been so dependable so far in her first 230,000 miles!!

Thanks again guy!!

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A vacuum leak will cause all the syptoms you described as well as a p0300 dtc.
Did you check to make sure the intake manifold gasket and intake seated correctly?

Also, welcome to the forum and good luck on the troubleshooting.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
by any chance did you remember to install the oval oring around the fuel body before the plenum when down and when it went down did you pull the injection body upwards a bit to ensure plenum lays flat. how about a pic pointing out your line or part concern?

OP
OP

'98customchevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made sure that the fuel injection body sat nice and tight and it has a new gasket as well! I don't see any area of the intake that doesn't seat flatly but I may need to remove everything again and see if the intake gasket has any issues with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove