Main Bearing Failure with 6.2L at 3,200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t make any sense. Why would it take a month to diagnose? Did you talk directly to GM about a rental, or did the dealer tell you that? As suggested, I think you need a different dealer- those guys are terrible.

As for fuel - I always use 91 (highest available in California.). Had a friend blow up an LS in a Corvette 10 years ago from using low octane gas and knocking, so I’m not messing around with that.
It makes me angry that you can't get 93 everywhere...unclear exactly why. Owners Mannual for 2021 recommended 93, in 2022 they changed it to say 91 (guessing this was marketing and/or legal requirement). Fortunately, where I live, we have a couple stations that have 93, and Costco has 92 for reasonable money. I always go with the 93, unless in a pinch, drop to 92.

Was just curious if those having engine issues were using 87 or something. Clearly there is some issue w/ the 6.2's. Hope GM figures it out, as I do love the engine.

Dilligaf34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I did contact GM customer service and they basically said they will not authorize a rental until its diagnosed to see if it is a warranty issue. I have a friend that is a tech at another local dealer and according to him they have 6 vehicles waiting on 6.2 engines. He also told me he put a motor in one last week (spun all 8 rod bearings) and when it was in his stall warming up after about 15 minutes it locked up. Pulled the new motor back out and the #8 piston was install backwards. Here is a pic of the oil from my filter. As far as time, I don't mind waiting a little bit I'm hoping they correct this issue and I get a good motor instead of a ticking time bomb.

Attachments

• 20240322_103843.jpg
    20240322_103843.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 7

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you’re dealing with that. It’s a shame that GM doesn’t have the same level of QC on the truck 6.2s bc the LT1 community rarely reports issues like this, if ever. Camaros and Vettes are typically driven a lot harder than SUVs.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with the metal flakes in the oil, were there any other warning signs (at least in retrospect) that the engine was going to fail?

Dilligaf34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I heard something like a spark knock or rattle and oil life was at 11% so I went ahead and changed the oil and ran it thru a paint strainer (full of very fine metal). Than about 10 miles later it rattled away and locked up.

OP
OP
ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
I thought I heard something like a spark knock or rattle and oil life was at 11% so I went ahead and changed the oil and ran it thru a paint strainer (full of very fine metal). Than about 10 miles later it rattled away and locked up.
For future reference, changing the oil will never solve any problems that an engine is having.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but only IFF you send the used oil to a laboratory for analysis.
Still can't figure out why one can't send used oil filters for analysis ...
The metallic flakes in the pic above aren't an indicator? Is that amount of flake "normal"?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but only IFF you send the used oil to a laboratory for analysis.
Still can't figure out why one can't send used oil filters for analysis ...
You don't need any oil analysis other than visual to identify spun bearings....

The GM TSB specifically tells the technician to take off the oil filter and look inside for metallic flakes. No oil analysis necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019