Magnetic Ride Control vs Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfie94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!

First time placing an order for a GM vehicle - I am in the midst of placing an order for either a 23 Suburban or 23 Yukon XL. Understanding Magnetic Ride Control is the standard suspension on the higher level trims and they do already ride smoothly, I was wondering if Air Ride Suspension provides an EVEN better ride quality?

A source of confusion has always been does the Air Ride Suspension replace the Magnetic Ride Control if selected as an option? Or is it an add on and works hand in hand with the Magnetic Ride Control?

Any feedback or explanation will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think air ride is a better ride. I don’t know if air ride supplements mag control ride. I have the mag ride control on my premiere. I find it very good but with the 22” wheels and a rapidly changing road surface, the ride can be a little bumpy

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We think it does, plus it automatically levels the vehicle when loaded or towing. Of course, it's more complex, so there's that... but over all very happy with it..

Vinnoto1

Reaction score
Magnetic ride comes on all vehicles with the 6.2 and air ride is in addition to that if an available option. I have both on my Yukon XL and the ride is amazing!

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22s ride rather harsh. 20s are much better. You also get better gas milage with 20s.

I had air suspension on my Ram 1500 and ended up having to tear it all out and go with regular shocks and coils. Caused way too many issues in cold weather here in NW Iowa. It would freeze, lose pressure, etc. After that fiasco I'm steering away from any air ride until these companies can figure it out better - especially since it's a new tech/feature.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air ride simply automatically levels the truck. Magnetic ride automatically adjusts the firmness of each shock, in accordance with road and driving conditions. If the truck has the magnetic ride, at also automatically includes the air ride.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's the other way around on the new generation of trucks. You can get mag ride without air ride, but you can't get air ride without mag ride.
Very interesting. If true, I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts