Magneride (without Air Ride) failure at only 700 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got into my 2023 Suburban this morning and saw "Service suspension system" message. "Weird" I thought, but then when I started driving I realized that , yes, something was off because it was bouncing around (up/down) on each bump like crazy.

That's a bit disappointing on a brand new vehicle at only 700 miles on it :(

Has anybody had similar issue? I'd think it's unlikely all magnaride shocks failed at the same time.. may be something in the "brains"?

Taking it to a dealer service tomorrow...

Thanks!

d_hawk

Reaction score
I had an issue with an intermittent “service suspension system” message. I have pasted below the resolution for my issue I posted in another subsection of this forum…

I wanted to follow up for anyone who has the “service suspension system” issue in the future and the dealer can’t find any stored codes. I bought a SC 530 scan tool off amazon. Plugged it in the obd port, navigated to the electronic suspension control module and observed the wheel accelerometers. I found that the right front wheel accelerometer voltage would fluctuate driving around and even parked when I rotated the steering wheel left and right. When the right front wheel accelerometer voltage intermittently dropped to zero volts it would trigger the “service suspension system” message momentarily until the voltage increased from 0 volts.

I ordered a new right front wheel accelerometer and installed it. I have had stable voltage readings, no intermittent drops to 0 volts and no more “service suspension system” messages.
img_8941-jpeg.jpg

Attachments​

• 396044-2cc93a99a17eddf93a82115a9563903f.png
    IMG_8944.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 7

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got into my 2023 Suburban this morning and saw "Service suspension system" message. "Weird" I thought, but then when I started driving I realized that , yes, something was off because it was bouncing around (up/down) on each bump like crazy.

That's a bit disappointing on a brand new vehicle at only 700 miles on it :(

Has anybody had similar issue? I'd think it's unlikely all magnaride shocks failed at the same time.. may be something in the "brains"?

Taking it to a dealer service tomorrow...

Thanks!
Its not common but not unheard of. Early failures of components are way more prominent then mid life. Use the warranty and dont worry about it.

Basic shocks fail from new all the time. It just happens.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another thread out here (I can't find it for some reason) where a dude is complaining about his new vehicle being very bouncy (2nd owner, '21 suv was in New York I believe, a lot of idle time). Anyway, in that thread he doesn't have a check engine indication, rather it just drives poorly. Seems to be something similar but different.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnarides didn't last in the 2015-2020s, no reason for GM to fix them it looks like. So sad they won't improve the longevity of them.

OP
OP
E

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. Just picked up the car - the dealer replaced the suspension control module. So far so good. Looks like about $800 repair if it wasn't under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts