Lubricating doors, what to use and where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to lubricate the doors on my 1999 Tahoe, particularly the barn doors. They have become extremely hard to open and close. I am not sure what type of lubricant to use and exactly where to put it? I have some Lucas Oil white lithium grease that I'm assuming will do the trick. But, where exactly do I put it? On the outside hinges, inside, the metal check strap? Help, please.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If possible lift up on the door during application. Helps to get some of the grease in where it needs to be. Your best bet however is to just buy the replacement pins and hinge sleeves.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DORMAN 38467
On rock auto only 10 and change for each door
Advance generally carries the kit in stock also if you dont want to wait for shipping.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ended up using some Wurth HHS-K lubricant. It was given to me by a technician at my local VW dealer for door hinges. It's silicone-free, safe on plastic, rubber, etc and super tacky stuff. I'm not sure I did the barn door hinges properly, it seems to have HELPED, but I was looking to be able to close them with a couple fingers like I used to. My passenger door was always hard to shut, it needed to be slammed, not anymore. Lubed up the door latch and the strike plate on the frame and it closes really smoothly now. So, as far as the barn doors, would lifting the door to expose part of the hinge pin help? I thought someone else suggested that.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-hhs-k-high-pressure-lubricant.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65