LT vs Z71 - Can I remove black lower on LT front bumper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beach77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned a '99 Durango, and now a '10 4Runner - both bought new. Now it is time to change again. I am either going for another 4Runner or I would like a Z71 Tahoe, but there are none within a few hundred miles of my location.

I know the Z71 offers certain features that can not be added to a std LT (such as a low range transfer case), however I was curious if it was possible, and not advised against, to remove the lower black 'skirt' that sits below the front bumper of the LT?

I do not use mine for hardcore off-roading but the occasional trail and on the beach is common, not to mention where I am parking can be tight and I 'climb' a lot of curbs to park in certain areas as needed. I have looked at the Tahoe and said to myself no way is that going up there without ripping that black piece off.

I know on the 4Runner we have a small one that people remove, but it does not impact anything really in doing so, and honestly does not affect approach angle anyway.

I am not looking for a off road machine but I need it to be more capable than a mall crawler as well. ANy feedback would be helpful, thank you!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a '99 Durango, and now a '10 4Runner - both bought new. Now it is time to change again. I am either going for another 4Runner or I would like a Z71 Tahoe, but there are none within a few hundred miles of my location.

I know the Z71 offers certain features that can not be added to a std LT (such as a low range transfer case), however I was curious if it was possible, and not advised against, to remove the lower black 'skirt' that sits below the front bumper of the LT?

I do not use mine for hardcore off-roading but the occasional trail and on the beach is common, not to mention where I am parking can be tight and I 'climb' a lot of curbs to park in certain areas as needed. I have looked at the Tahoe and said to myself no way is that going up there without ripping that black piece off.

I know on the 4Runner we have a small one that people remove, but it does not impact anything really in doing so, and honestly does not affect approach angle anyway.

I am not looking for a off road machine but I need it to be more capable than a mall crawler as well. ANy feedback would be helpful, thank you!

Lots of people trim it. Do a search and you'll find some threads on it. Essentially its just using a rotozip/dremel/sawzall and cutting it down. It will impact MPG a bit 'they' say.

tdriver113

Reaction score
I have a 2016 LT that has a low range transfer case added as the only non standard option. I also used a home made straight edge to trim that front valance down. 11 inches of clearance in front of the tires now.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 LT that has a low range transfer case added as the only non standard option. I also used a home made straight edge to trim that front valance down. 11 inches of clearance in front of the tires now.

What's the clearance under these trucks isn't it 9.5"? If so gotta be careful about what you drive over with a trimmed fairing. If the front lower fairing isn't there to warn you of obstacles that are too big to go over...

tdriver113

Reaction score
That front "Fairing" is not there for a clearance warning. It's there strictly as a mileage enhancement.
:D:D:D

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That front "Fairing" is not there for a clearance warning. It's there strictly as a mileage enhancement.
:D:D:D

Perhaps. But the Tahoe has a clearance of ~8 inches behind the front wheels. If you remove the front fairing you have ~11 inches in front of the tires...So you better be good REALLY good at guessing whether something is 8" or 8.5"

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After owning 4 wheel drive trucks for 40 years, I am that good. So don't worry, I'm in good hands..
:eek::eek::eek:

Cool!! :eek: :) :) [emoji7][emoji7]

Just pointing out to the op that it's only purpose isn't MPG and to be aware of the clearance difference if he removes it.

OP
OP
B

Beach77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for all the tips! A good friend has a Yukon and the front black section is destroyed from parking curbs and such, even snow banks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84