LQ4 replacement heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mci007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe with a 2000 LQ4 6.0 Liter, it has the original cast iron heads, I still have the original 4.8 Liter motor that came out, can I use the aluminum heads from the 4.8 for the LQ4 engine.

The 4.8 Liter heads have a stamp on them that says 862.

Can I have the aluminum heads gone over and install larger valves and springs to work with the LQ4, or will the stock valves be fine.

I also at a later date would like to add a cam, I have heard that adding a good cam really wakes up the LQ4 motors.

Any thoughts.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe with a 2000 LQ4 6.0 Liter, it has the original cast iron heads, I still have the original 4.8 Liter motor that came out, can I use the aluminum heads from the 4.8 for the LQ4 engine.

The 4.8 Liter heads have a stamp on them that says 862.

Can I have the aluminum heads gone over and install larger valves and springs to work with the LQ4, or will the stock valves be fine.

I also at a later date would like to add a cam, I have heard that adding a good cam really wakes up the LQ4 motors.

Any thoughts.

Interesting questions....let us know here if you find the answers out bro, hope someone with some exp can help

B

03_Denali

Reaction score
You could, and it would be a nice bump in compression. However they will not flow as well as a set of 317's ( stock LQ 4/9). Look for a set of 317's and have them milled .040" or you can opt for a set of 243's, but that will set you back more. Really it boils down to what you want out of your set up.

Greg

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
Cast iron heads on a 6.0 ?????\

Yes, a cam defintley wakes these motors up!

Go with comp cams. Youll prob have to change valve springs depending upon the lift of your chosen camshaft. No biggie.

Get a cam / tune / stall and your tahoe will be a hot rod.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mci007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really want a hot rod, I have 4:11 posi in the rear already, This thing is really quick with the 4:11's but i want more, I want quickness, speed is fun but quick is a blast, anyhow, so 317's and a comp cam, i have to keep it smog legal, so i cant go buck wild, how far can i go and keep it legal.

03_Denali

Reaction score
Since you have to stay smog... I would go with a corvette z06 cam and springs (you will need new longer pushrods too) then save for a turbo or supercharger kit. The z06 will give you a nice boost over stock and it is a proven cam for FI.

OP
OP
M

mci007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do i measure for new push rods, or will the place i get the cam from know the measurement based on the cam i select.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
317's can be had pretty much anywhere. While you are having the machine shop go through them, look for what cam you want. A Comp, to TR cam comes to mind. Then buy the correct springs, to match the cam. You can use factory length pushrods, just get hardened pushrods. A cam will really wake it up, but you didn't mention if you replaced the stall converter? I suggest doing a converter, and add the biggest tranny cooler you can fit. A converter, with your exsisting 4.11's will REALLY wake it up, even without the 317 heads and cam.

OP
OP
M

mci007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im checking with the speedshop that made my converter for me, I have a 2000 LQ4 with a 4L60 trans and because the crank is a half inch longer i had to have a custom torque converter made. Thanks for all your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON