Lowering 2006 tahoe questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18x8.5 Silverado reps with 235/55/18 tires is what I'm going to run.

Why that size of tire? They'll be TINY. You'll get 2" of drop just from running that size tire. Your speedometer will read slower and you'll put more mileage on your Tahoe than the distance you're actually travelling. At 60-70, you'll be reading about 5MPH faster than what you're actually doing.

Plus, you'll have a ton of fender well gap.

As for the wheel fitment, I put some temporary 18s on mine last weekend and only had to trim the thickness of a cutting disc (about 2mm) off the lower ball joint stud. Not enough to make any functional difference at all. I have McG spindles.

OP
OP
T

thingraylinetah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why that size of tire? They'll be TINY. You'll get 2" of drop just from running that size tire. Your speedometer will read slower and you'll put more mileage on your Tahoe than the distance you're actually travelling. At 60-70, you'll be reading about 5MPH faster than what you're actually doing.

Plus, you'll have a ton of fender well gap.

As for the wheel fitment, I put some temporary 18s on mine last weekend and only had to trim the thickness of a cutting disc (about 2mm) off the lower ball joint stud. Not enough to make any functional difference at all. I have McG spindles.
Because that's what I can afford as far as 18s go.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2/3 is very common and there are lots of kits out there. McGaughy has a few that come with shock extenders. If you use drop spindles your alignment parts shouldn’t need replacing. Post some pictures when you’re done. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

thingraylinetah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've decided to use mcgauhys drop spindles up front with belltech front and rear street performance shocks and struts. I guess I'm going to try and get the 5305 springs some how.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the wheels, dont hesitate to shop used wheels on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Good deals to be had, and sometimes they come with good tires.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on here brain storming lowering 2006 Tahoe LS. I have some questions that hopefully you guys can answer.

I am thinking I want to go Bilstein 4600 front and rear with some drop springs in the rear. I was thinking of using mcgauhys spindles in the front. I'd like the front and rear dropped down fairly even with good ride quality.

Would this allow me to maintain the factory alignment settings or would I need camber arms etc?

I have the lw7 premium ride in the rear so I am not wanting the rear bottoming out. I wanted to go with a belltech kit but was afraid it'd be bottoming out in the rear.

What say you all?
Here is mine. Mcgaughys spindles. I’ve tried many different coils In rear to get the right ride. I’ve probably done more experimenting than a lot lol. I’ve had crown, mcgaughys, and belltech coils. Trailblazer 4230 coils an the best so far 5305 also by belltech. The front has 3/4 ton purple keys and mcgaughys spindles. I’ve also tried 3 different shocks. I just sold my bilstein 4600. I had belltech sp. sold them an got the bilstein. Well I was to low for them. They had no travel hardly so I went back to belltech. I also have Spohn Panhard and fully adjustable upper an lower trailing arms by Spohn. Also did all new ball joints. Upper control arms. Pitman idler an inner an outter tie rods. New bushings. Drilled an slotted rotors. Brembo brakes. They were to dusty so I switched to akebona an that cut the brake dust way down. Also have helper bags in rear also. In case I wanna adjust rear. The set up I have now is the best. I have spent a lot of money getting here. also my alignment is in spec but he said If I went any lower it would be a issue. So I’d have to get the upper a arm bushings or get some upper arms from djm. I may do that anyway cuz the upper ball joints look like they are in a bad angle. But so far they’ve done good.

Attachments

• 2FCB5CCE-F37A-493A-8CD7-8553DD20AB1F.jpeg
    2FCB5CCE-F37A-493A-8CD7-8553DD20AB1F.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 18
  • B849C5A9-7ED7-4C11-A34B-D3DFF915B12E.jpeg
    B849C5A9-7ED7-4C11-A34B-D3DFF915B12E.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 5D649B07-0C1E-41E9-9327-73CECF50DD10.jpeg
    5D649B07-0C1E-41E9-9327-73CECF50DD10.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 19

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've decided to use mcgauhys drop spindles up front with belltech front and rear street performance shocks and struts. I guess I'm going to try and get the 5305 springs some how.
I could not find the 5305 coils Anywhere. I ended up ordering belltech 32432 or something like that I’ll look it up. An when I got them they say 5305 on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC