Lowered my '15 Yukon XL SLT 1" / 2"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks really good. I'm wanting to drop mine also but want to figure out how low I can go without having to buy tires right off the bat.

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good and will look even better when you drop the front!

OP
OP
S

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 5/28/14:

Installed the mcgaughy's spring relocators tonight. Took me quite a long time...
But came out great! I got about 1.5" of
Drop with both spacers in. So it seems to get a little more drop than advertised.

Before After
Front 36 1/2 35
Rear 38 36

I have a few tips for this install as well:

- don't do this without an impact wrench or at very least a 2 foot torque wrench or similar if you want an upper body workout too. I spent way too long cranking on spring compressors!!! (I suggest you youtube strut replacement before doing this as well)

- I used these spring compressors from amazon because they were cheap with decent reviews ($36 bucks from amazon warehouse deals). They handled the heavy duty springs without a problem. But... See above about impact wrench.

Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-3054 MacPherson Strut Spring Hook Compressor by Advanced Tool Design http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OUW78O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_-hyHtb1DF6Z47

- make sure you have several socket extensions totaling about 18". This makes it way easier to remove the 3 bolts on the top strut mounts. I found a few worked better than one long one because that gives it some flexibility to get around stuff.

- I cut down the bump stops to the 2nd notch... Removing about an inch and a half. I was worried about a worse ride if it was riding on the bumpstops often... I didn't have instructions so I have no idea what the kit tells you to do.

- pay attention to the way the strut is lined up and assembled before tearing it apart. I used blue painters tape to help remember how everything lined up.

Here is a picture of one modified strut and one pre modification:

olJVrlE.jpg

Before (about 7" from perch to mount)
v8KWHQd.jpg

After (about 6" from perch to mount)
17jvhNc.jpg

You can see that you could remove the 2 spacers and get about 2.5" of drop with this kit... Seems you would be riding on a really short amount of shock travel. I am happy I went with both spacers in.

Late night shots of the final product:

6l9cqjy.jpg

QXYpCb4.jpg

79QhuAU.jpg

OgmKfcZ.jpg

0e7J61Z.jpg

gJCB9pb.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the truck aligned today and they were able to get it back in line with no issues.

Also tested out autoride and reducing the autoride link to 3" seems to be perfect for the 5305 with the 1" spacer. Seems it would need to be even shorter if running no spacer to avoid the pump running all the time.

The rear sits right at 36"with no pump running. Loading things in the back (me in this case) the pump kicks on at about 35" (dead even with the front) and pumps it back to 36".

I've been running around in the truck all day today and I think the ride is exactly the same if not better with this setup. I am very happy with it.

Now I need to remove the assist steps, find a grill and get some 22s!

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you remove the running boards that front clip is going to look even bigger relative to the rest of the vehicle. imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts