Lower Ball Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torsh6363

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone done this job? I already ordered the parts. A local shop wanted over $600 to replace both lowers. I figure I can get it done, but do I NEED a press or will a big effen hammer get the job done? If anyone has step-by-step instructions that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Jim

OP
OP
T

torsh6363

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe

Probably, but I can't justify paying that much for something I know I can do. I just would like to know exactly what I need and what I'm in for.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Unless you have a ball joint remover and installer tool, your best bet is to have it done by a pro. Now you can also shop around. I would stay away from the chain stores and go with independent installers. A lot of times they will be cheaper.

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how to do it as well but just cause you know how to do something doesnt make it easy. I started doing them on my car and couldnt even separate the control arm and took it to a shop and they had to use an air chisel it was on so hard... then you have to press them out and press them back it...... A lift makes it easier to do to.. do you have all of the right tools?

pickle fork
press
air chisel just in case?

55belairtim

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
take both arms off the vehicle then take it to a shop and see what they would charge, also did you get oversized balljoints, if you get a normal size balljoint it may creek inside the control arm because its not pressed in properly, dont know where your located but if your close to me ill do them for 60 bucks.
thanks tim

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
take both arms off the vehicle then take it to a shop and see what they would charge, also did you get oversized balljoints, if you get a normal size balljoint it may creek inside the control arm because its not pressed in properly, dont know where your located but if your close to me ill do them for 60 bucks.
thanks tim

damn for that price it would be worth the shipping to send you the lca's with the worn out bj's in them and have your return ship them!

Lifted99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it 2wd or 4wd?

I used to be Front End Tech for a few years. Did them everyday, all day. And alignments. Went to school. I am ASE Certified in Brakes, Front End, Engine Performance, Electrical Diagnosis.

If you dont have a Ball Joint Press Kit, or a Air Hammer, or Air Tools. I would suggest finding a good shop. $600 is insane.

Labor for 2wd. One side, Lower is .8 Hr. Both sides, lower is 1.6 Hrs. Depends on how much the shop charges labor.

Upper and Lower labor total: 3.7 hrs. Which I can knock it out in under 1 hour.

Common is $75-95 hr. Say they charge $85 an hour. Total of $136 for labor. Maybe $100 for parts for the best. Looking probally under $300.

That does not include a alignment. Lets say, $60 for a 2-wheel Alignment.

Of if it's 4x4:

One side for lower, 2.6 hrs. For both sides, lower, 3.8 hrs.

Both sides total, at $85 hr is $323 for labor.

Upper and Lower labor total: 6.4 hrs. Which I can knock out around 2 hours.

Still, not close to $600. I would only pay $600 if they have both upper and lower ball joints, alignment. And replaced with Moog.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$600 is about right if using Moog, doing the alignment, and doing upper and lower. Most shops will only tack on a little labor for the upper BJ, if any.

If you can get the arms off yourself, Napa usually has presses in their stores. Upside to that is, they mess up the part, they grb another one out of the stock room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse