Low oil PSI, shut engine down warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buzzkill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new here for this very post. Due to time constraints I only gazed through the site to see if this was anywhere else so if I missed it or am in the wrong place please accept my apology.

Short story long.... 2019 Yukon Denali, 48k miles. Bought used from my folks as they were being low balled on trade. Always ran premium, never really pushed other the passing moments, etc.

I was in line at a drive through when the warning dinged and the dash said low oil psi shut engine down. This was the only warning I received. (Verified by my bride) I shut it down without taking notice of the gauges. I opened the hood and noticed fluid had sprayed the compartment. I didn't feel much heat from the engine bay but the fluid ended up being coolant. I grabbed the upper rad hose and it collapsed when squeezed. This was within 5-10 mins of shutting it down and it didn't feel hot. I looked at where it was when I initially shut it down and the pavement was dry. I check the oil and its full and clear. (no water contamination) Being within a mile of my dealership I thought id fill the res and drive it there as time had since passed and it was pretty cool. (quoted 3 hrs for a tow which ended up being 5) I added about 40 oz into the res (on pass side) and was returning back with more when I noticed it was leaking out the drivers side. So now there's a puddle and i'm aware its not drivable.

The dealer replaced the water pump and battery. Weird that they both failed at the same time but stuff happens and I believe it was the correct diagnosis with how things happened. I asked to see the water pump and the bearing failed which caused the leak but it also allowed the fins to contact the housing creating shavings and contaminating the system. Got it back yesterday and all seems fine for now. Pump was covered and I paid for the battery.

1- the dealer gave me a list of recommended services. Service both difs and T-case. flush the cooling system. clean the TB. clean the intake and decoke the valves. plus other stuff that was 2k worth of work.

2- the tech sent me a video showing the play in the pump pully and recommended I change the oil since it had overheated.

Now the odd stuff...

When I asked how hot the engine got (remember the only message I got was low oil psi) they told me that since the battery had died there were no codes or information in the system so not only was there no temp readings there was no documentation that it overheated at all. (Common sense says no coolant equals overheated engine- I know). I did not feel heat when I opened the hood at the scene. I have wrenched all my life and was trained on OBD-2 back in the day so while I am no longer ASE certified I have a solid understanding how things work and know what excessive underhood temps feel like when cooling systems fail. Squeezing that hose at that time should have burnt my hand. It felt warm but not hot.

In my warped world it seems that if the pump fails and shells metal as well as likely causes an overheating issue that the warranty should cover the oil change as well as the cooling system flush and possibly even a trans flush since they have no record of the heat it saw. In the end all they covered was the pump so I declined all other work besides the battery. After showing the head of service my concerns he called someone and told me they would only replace the pump and everything else was just a recommendation and not mandatory as well as the tolerances in the cooling system didn't warrant a cooling flush to get the metal out.

Two things baffle me here.

1- Since when does pulling the battery clear the manufacturer side of the ECM of its data? If what he's saying is true then all you need to do if your aftermarket part destroys your engine is pull the battery until it deletes all the information.

2- How is it I didn't get any codes on high coolant temps or low coolant level? I can't verify temps but the res was empty and any fluid added poured out.

3- Why did I get a low oil psi shut down warning when the oil is full and looks and smells normal. Remember, the dealer said GM wasn't worried enough about it to cover the oil change.

Anyway, long 1st post and I really appreciate it if you read it all. I'm baffled at the oil warning and no cooling system warning, yet the fix (so far) was a battery and water pump.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is you're a mechanic so it probably didn't get hot enough to do damage and sounds like your driving vehicle now so didn't hurt anything they should of dropped lower hose so that should have drained system, (Look on repair order to see how much antifreeze was replaced) so flush is pretty much done if pump goes bad, they have to replace if warrantied GM would require flush. And being mechanic, you can change battery and not loose codes it probably didn't have any, if it was that hot you would have seen steam coming out around engine hood.
I would change oil, the low oil pressure was maybe sensor that had water in connector. If trans fluid looks and smells ok wouldn't worry about it
And you need different dealer and remember vehicle is still under warranty and also you know history since you bought from family. These are great trucks enjoy.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1- You're ECM memory would be erased with a dead or disconnected battery. Always has in every OBD 1 or 2 vehicle made.
#2- #1 answers that question. You obviously developed a leak which caused your issues and again dead battery = no codes.
#3- A bad battery can cause erroneous system malfunctions , even with a good charging system. A near perfect battery is necessary for the vehicle CAN BUS systems to operate properly.
I have to agree with the oil change being unnecessary.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I do like the way the concerns are laid out in chronological order. Easy to follow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to answer your other question regarding low coolant, you may not have a coolant level sensor some gm vehicles are not equipped with one but easily verified by looking.
being you are mechanically inclined I would perform the other recommended services yourself and save some money.
as for if it overheated or not or other codes. It's possible they could be stored in "historical data" which requires a mdi type tool to look, historical codes do not go away when the battery is disconnected, but with that said keep in mind the low battery power can cause errors of all kinds so in theory there could be all kinds of weird stuff in the historical data.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
B

Buzzkill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Its been awhile since my training but I think I used bad terminology. I realize you can clear codes by disconnecting the battery but isn't there something that happens to protect the data on the manufacturer side in case of emergencies? System memory? Old age I guess....

I'm not worried on the trans as it never seemed that hot. I will be changing the oil as in the end its cheap insurance. The mechanic and head of service had no answer as to the warning indicator giving me an oil psi and no coolant or temp warnings. It might as well have given me a low tire psi warning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu