Low Battery Start Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had this problem from new. I did a search in this forum, but can't find anything exactly the same. I did find a number of complaints regarding the poor quality of the GM battery, so I had it checked out and it seemed fine.

I have a 2014 Yukon, very basic truck, basic power options.

After driving (so the battery is fully charged), I turn it off, but keep the key in accessory to listen to the radio. After a short time (anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes) there are 3 bell tones and “LOW BATTERY, START ENGINE” is displayed. The engine starts without any hesitation or effort (appears NOT a low battery) and the message and tones stop.

If I ignore the message, the tones sound a few more times, and after 30 to 40 minutes the radio turns off, tones stop, but the message remains on the dash display. Again, the engine starts without a problem.

In both scenarios, the battery measures 12.2 volts.

While on vacation, the truck sat for 6 weeks without being run and it started right away, so it doesn't appear to be a slow drain.

We like to go to the local drive-in and need the radio to tune in to the movie sound track. So I was hoping there was some way to de-activate the sensor that measures the voltage/amperage drop or increase the time delay before it displays the message. Anybody know???

SubSonic

Reaction score
Honestly, I think the battery should be closer to 12.6V after only listening to the radio for 5-15 minutes. Could still be a weak battery. I'd also check what your charging voltage is while running--if it's lower than 13.6 (really should be 14+ with these GMs) it may not be charging the battery quite enough--but still enough to to keep the battery charged to start.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s very possible your battery may have a weak cell, which won’t always show up bad on a load test. If your radio has a Nav feature, it will use more voltage than one without it. I went through the exact same thing with my 2004 Denali and Toyota Highlander.

OP
OP
Daddio

Daddio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you can believe the dashboard voltmeter it says about 14.5 volts. But I'm going to bust out my meter and confirm.
No nav, but I was suspicious of the (self installed) brake controller, it's LED's stayed lit for a while after turning off the ignition. I unplugged it and the problem remained. But again, it didn't drain the battery after sitting for 6 weeks.
Everything points to a weak battery and there's lots of complaints about poor quality Delco batteries in this forum. My last Delco battery (in my 2002 Yukon) lasted for over 10 years, so I bought another one just before trading the truck in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to get a real answer to this ideally a technician should be able to describe at what voltage does it trigger the "start engine warning", then you should be to verify if it is indeed dropping to that voltage with a meter or if it is possibly a bad ground causing some resistance and therefore triggering the warning. you might need to use 2 meters, one on the obd port and another on the battery to verify the condition. that test should give you some answers and give some indication of how to correct it. i.e. check or replace ground wires/replace battery, etc..

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
... but I was suspicious of the (self installed) brake controller, it's LED's stayed lit for a while after turning off the ignition. I unplugged it and the problem remained. But again, it didn't drain the battery after sitting for 6 weeks.

Brake controllers do that for a while after turning off the ignition, then they go to sleep.

OP
OP
Daddio

Daddio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I got my answer. I was wondering if this was a pervasive problem or a unique one to me. If I want to pursue it further, I'll have to do as Doubeleive says and get into more analysis and testing.
For now, I'll just not use the radio and take the wifes sedan to the drive-in. That may be a blessing in disguise since our drive-in relegates trucks to the back few rows and with her car I'll be able to move up to first class!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a sensor that clips around the ground cable that helps "manage" the battery, removing that clip harness disables the battery management, but... not sure if that would make any difference on your DIC warning.

OP
OP
Daddio

Daddio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Checking the sensor on the ground cable is a good suggestion ... I wasn't aware of that. Maybe corrosion or a loose connection could induce false readings / premature alarms.

Kevinf89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get this message aslo and i replaced my battery and fixed mine but also my battery was wet on top from acid. Also can anyone tell me why when i open driver door i can hear the radio/cd player making a noise for just a few seconds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz