Lost keys while in the middle of nowhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NO4NSHIT

Reaction score
Long story short I lost my keys and I'm about 3 hours away from home I'm able to start the truck and everything but I need to know how I'm supposed to hook up these three wires what I'm supposed to do with these two wires until I can get to the house and get a new ignition cylinder how housing and ignition cylinder itself if anybody can help me out I really appreciate it cuz I've been sitting here stuck here for almost freaking 8 hours now16284208855958849956844260277425.jpg

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Start and everything? Or just crank and stall? I thought the 3 wires were for passlock. Red power, black ground, yellow signal, all going back to the bcm I think. So if you can’t keep it running, and the security light is on, that’s why. Without having it plugged in and the ignition cylinder turned I don’t know of an easy bypass.
The other 2 wires I think are just the key in ignition chime… or maybe key retention… either way I don’t think the other 2 should matter for you right now

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't call a locksmith? Typically, you will have to provide proof of ownership, but it's a couple $100 at most and the all your keys work.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad used to pull a license plate screw out and hide a key behind the plate and secure it with the screw.
Magnetic hide-a-key boxes had a tendency to fall off or get knocked off while driving.

Alternatives might be zip-tying a key behind the front bumper or inside the engine bay (hanging from a location that would be accessible by pulling the clips out of the front wheel liner), so it is protected from slush and road salt spray but in a location you can get to by hand or with a screwdriver.

I used to keep a spare key in my wallet. I will be doing that this week and also hiding one in a hidden, but accessible location underneath the truck too.

Sorry you are stuck on the road, but thank you for the reminder to get this done for myself.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are fortunate that our keys do not have chips in them! We can get 3 spare keys made at Home Depot for less than $20.
I will have one in my wallet, one in the console and one hidden in the engine bay behind the fender liner.
Definitely a great investment for not getting stuck out of town somewhere!!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad used to pull a license plate screw out and hide a key behind the plate and secure it with the screw.
Magnetic hide-a-key boxes had a tendency to fall off or get knocked off while driving.

Alternatives might be zip-tying a key behind the front bumper or inside the engine bay (hanging from a location that would be accessible by pulling the clips out of the front wheel liner), so it is protected from slush and road salt spray but in a location you can get to by hand or with a screwdriver.

I used to keep a spare key in my wallet. I will be doing that this week and also hiding one in a hidden, but accessible location underneath the truck too.

Sorry you are stuck on the road, but thank you for the reminder to get this done for myself.
Each solution has its own limitations, for the most part.

Behind the license place? Do you have a screwdriver with you? For me, mine would be safely locked in my rig...
For the zip tie? My cutters would be -- you guessed it! -- secured in the locked rig.

I do carry a spare in my wallet, however, and my power door locks will open via cellular signal from my phone.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each solution has its own limitations, for the most part.

Behind the license place? Do you have a screwdriver with you? For me, mine would be safely locked in my rig...
For the zip tie? My cutters would be -- you guessed it! -- secured in the locked rig.

I do carry a spare in my wallet, however, and my power door locks will open via cellular signal from my phone.
If a lighter zip-tie is used, you can twist the key and snap the tie by hand without too much difficulty. It only needs to carry the weight of the key, so a thin tie would work fine to keep it secured to whatever it is attached to...

Some license plate screws are slotted rather than Phillips head. So a nickel or other coin could be used to remove the screw from the license plate. Reduces theft proof-ness from somone taking your plate, yes. But I am more likely to lock myself out than I am having my licenses plate stolen... (Oops, maybe I just jinxed myself...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9