Lost Key/Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2010 chevy tahoe. Several years ago, my son in law lost one key & the key fob. I didn't purchase a replacement. And now, my hubby has lost the only remaining key fob + key that I had left. Any suggestions on how to get a new fob + key without a key to copy?

Thanks in advance!
Kat

Some locksmiths (ones that do a lot of car keys) can cut a key using your VIN.

The Fob is easy, just read above.

Joy123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey , Kathy.
Unfortunately I had the same situation before. Here is some useful information that’s helped me save a lot of time and money. Hope it will help you as well:
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.

good luck!

Joy123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I had the same issue about a few months ago. I lost my Tahoe keys .Here is what I found out after a long research, helped me a lot.So I'm sharing it here in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same mess as me...
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
This site helped me save a lot of money to get my new key.

lost-car-keys-replacement.com

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's hoping someone, of a dubious nature, doesn't find the key/fob and decide to liberate your ride while you're otherwise indisposed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2