Lost Key/Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
My wife lost one of our keys and key fobs to the Tahoe. We still have one set. Dealer wants to charge me $240! What are other options?

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife lost one of our keys and key fobs to the Tahoe. We still have one set. Dealer wants to charge me $240! What are other options?

eBay! I just got two gmc keys for my denali for $12 each and an escalade fob for $60.
Both came with programming instructions. Just had to have the keys cut

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I just bought 2 new uncut keys and key fobs on eBay. I did it myself. Paid like 50-60 for two complete sets.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Bad thing is 2011+ you have to get key fob programmed at gm dealership.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ebay is your best bet and cheapest,,,i bought a few key fobs and keys from there,,,,i got the keys cut at home depot and i programmed them myself

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remotesandkeys.com

I've used them several times....good prices and quick shipping.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 2 extra sets of keys for my 08 Tahoe/07 avy/07 Esky and two current yukons. That's 10 extra keys. All ordered from eBay. bring them to a local gmc dealership nearby. They cut the keys for free and key fob is programmable through the DIC 2007-2010. In 2011 they switched to only tech II dealership key fob programming.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Bought a blank key and fob online. Will get it cut and program myself. I did my Vette a couple of years ago when the dealer told me it would be $150 just to change a battery and reprogram. Went on Corvette Forum and found out a battery was a couple of bucks and all you had to do to reprogram the fob was to stick it in the ignition, turn to on, push and hold the lock and unlock buttons for 10 seconds, and then the car would beep to let you know it was done.

OP
OP
cjlaw73

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Got a key and key fob online for around $40. Had the local hardware store cut the key. (They told me at first they couldn't because of the chip.) Programming the key and fob took all of about 30 seconds.

....and the dealer wanted to charge me $250 for it. :Nonono:

If you have one working key and key fob and need another, Google is your friend.

Kathy Brown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2010 chevy tahoe. Several years ago, my son in law lost one key & the key fob. I didn't purchase a replacement. And now, my hubby has lost the only remaining key fob + key that I had left. Any suggestions on how to get a new fob + key without a key to copy?

Thanks in advance!
Kat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal