Loose Wheel Bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkosmo

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for your input/ experience here.... My 04 Z71 rear passenger wheel has a good clunking noise mainly over bumps. I jacked up that corner of the truck and was actually able to move the wheel in/out a little by pulling & pushing on it. I think my wheel bearing is going bad. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much movement? Make sure your hands are at true 12 and 6 o'clock position. You said a little movement... I didn't know I had a bad bearing until I had 3/4" of movement.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
When I had bad bearings it was a loud waaaaa on road but if it moves a bit when it up in air and you move left and right it's bad

OP
OP
nkosmo

nkosmo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I can move it about 1/2"- 3/4". How hard is it to replace myself? Chevy dealer wants $600.....

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid to have it done as I knew it would suck (rust as I live in MN). The bearing is expensive and they are a pain. When I put my lift in we fought the non replaced side for over an hour to get the damn thing apart. If you have the time and tools you can do it... Just not a fun job. I will pay to have it done on my vehicles but that is just me.

OP
OP
nkosmo

nkosmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I also live in MN and fight the damn rust..... i like your hoe by the way!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I've done em before not hard but did on 2wd and in south. You can do it but I would spray a can or 2 of rust penetrator. Only paid about $100 for both hubs aswell there's a vendor on eBay that sells good hubs and they are Detroit axle another member also bought some not long ago

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull diff cover, remove C clip, pull the axle out, press off old brg, press on new brg and repeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667