Looking to purchase 2015-2019 Yukon SLE or SLT Not a Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjay89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was looking to purchase a 3 row SUV for the family. I started my search by looking at Escalades but quickly noted that the 2015-2019 have multiple costly issues - 1) Magnaride 2) Cue System 3) 6.2 Lifter issues and 4) 8 Speed Transmission. While all makes/models have their quirks it appears that several of the issues with the Escalade/GM have resulted in class action lawsuits.

I had decided to look into other brands for a big SUV, but then noted that the Yukon (SLE/SLT) come with a 5.3 V8 and 6 Speed (older tried and true transmission). While the 5.3 motor may have the lifter issues as well, it is obviously priced lower than an Escalade and worthy of consideration. Accordingly, I was looking to get insight from owners with a Yukon SLE or SLT. As I understand it, minor changes were made 2017. I have not been able to find too much information on the difference between SLE (base) and the SLT.

I would consider a Denali I suppose 2018 or newer as it has the 10 speed transmission but ideally a 2017 Yukon SLT seems to be a good year to look into..

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifter problems were not abundant until 21-22.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he's referring to the AFM issue.
Good luck with your search.

AESO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are on the right track avoiding the "Covid" vehicles of 21+.....;-). There is something wrong with the whole manufacturing chain from about mid 2020 until, well, yesterday at best! IMHO
Don't discount the 2018-2020 Denali. The 6.2/10 speed combo is really good and most of the niggles of the 2015-17 run have/had been pretty much worked out.......You get all the bells and whistles and the price point compared to newer ones can't be beat. Good low mileage ones are still out there! Good and regular maintenance is also the key to a better ownership experience!
In a few years, look at a 2024 or 25 and rinse and repeat!!!!!

OP
OP
S

sjay89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did mean the AFM/DOD issue. And yes I can look for a 18-20 Denali but they are basically priced similar to an Escalade here in Toronto, Canada...that is why I was thinking about looking into the SLE/SLT.

slupie

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was looking to purchase a 3 row SUV for the family. I started my search by looking at Escalades but quickly noted that the 2015-2019 have multiple costly issues - 1) Magnaride 2) Cue System 3) 6.2 Lifter issues and 4) 8 Speed Transmission. While all makes/models have their quirks it appears that several of the issues with the Escalade/GM have resulted in class action lawsuits.

I had decided to look into other brands for a big SUV, but then noted that the Yukon (SLE/SLT) come with a 5.3 V8 and 6 Speed (older tried and true transmission). While the 5.3 motor may have the lifter issues as well, it is obviously priced lower than an Escalade and worthy of consideration. Accordingly, I was looking to get insight from owners with a Yukon SLE or SLT. As I understand it, minor changes were made 2017. I have not been able to find too much information on the difference between SLE (base) and the SLT.

I would consider a Denali I suppose 2018 or newer as it has the 10 speed transmission but ideally a 2017 Yukon SLT seems to be a good year to look into..
The 6 speed transmissions go out also, its not only the 8 speed ones. My '18 Burb, 5.3 with 6 speed had the trans shudder, dealer did the flush and it almost completely went away. Frequent oil changes are your best defense against the AFD/DOD issues in the 5.3 and 6.2. Like it was earlier mentioned the new ones, '21+ seem to have more lifter issues than the previous gen ones. The '17-20 have updated infotainment and '18-20 have HDMI instead of composite inputs for the rear entertainment if you have it. Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
S

sjay89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I came across a nice 2016 SLT. Any reason to opt for a 2017+? There are some changes but jts hard to get info as all articles pertain DENALI DENALI DENALI.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across a nice 2016 SLT. Any reason to opt for a 2017+? There are some changes but jts hard to get info as all articles pertain DENALI DENALI DENALI.
Get the 2018 with the 10 speed and be happy with your purchase and gas mpg. The 8 speed had issues and the 6 speed is so 2007. The 2015-2017 had boom issues. I am not saying all are bad but you are taking a big chance.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2016+first year of CarPlay. Many regard 2018-2020 as slightly more refined in build quality but everything is essentially the same as 2016+ as far as the lower trims are concerned.

SLT has all of the nice appointments without paying the premiums. No premium gas for the 6.2 in the Denali. No expensive magnetic suspension to replace when it fails. Avoids the 8 speed found in 15-17 Denali/Escalade

Watch for paint issues on hood/roof of dark vehicles 15-17 years seem most affected.

OP
OP
S

sjay89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As much as I would consider the 2018+, they price difference between a 2017 to 2018 is about $5k. Roughly a 2016 can be had between 35-40k, 2017s are about 40-45k. and the 2018s are all north of 45k to about 55k depending on mileage. I am looking at about 60k-80k Miles driven.