Looking to lift my wife's Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280Racer

Reaction score
So doing some research.. wife didn't want a new Tahoe loves her 04 Z71 to much and has named her Tina Tahoe!! So I built the trans pretty stout use be a GM tech. good converter in it.. next is a new built motor nothing crazy maybe 400hp she drives it everyday.. Now she wants it to be big and cool..!!! so I will re gear when I do it.. maybe even lockers since we take it everywhere and just cheap insurance.. She wants 35's which are easy but also 20x12 wheels which haven't seen much on guys using them.. I have been looking at BulletProof and FTS and BDS for their 7" lifts.. anyone wanna give me some good feedback or insist on them??

http://ftskits.com/2000-2006-7-chevy-gmc-tahoe-avalanche-suburban-yukon-1500-4wd.html

http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=5&mo=9&ty=1&yr=2000-2006

http://bulletproofsuspension.net/chevy-gmc-6-8-inch-lift-kit/

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I know all the kits pretty good. Each have their pros and cons. FTS is a good kit for the $ but the front is 1" increased track width and rear has no trailing arm drop brackets, measures right at 7". BDS is also good and 1.5" track width up front but has rear drop brackets for trailing arms, think it measures right at 6". Bullet has the best front end kit with no track width increase by dropping the entire front end but no rear trailing arm drop brackets, measures out right at 6". McGaughys is good also but increase track width 1.5" and has rear drop brackets, think it measures true 7".

If it was me then I would go bulletproof since no track width and special order procomp # 90-1785, 90-1790, 90-6276 from summit racing. Those parts # are procomp rear trailing arm drop brackets to help the rear end out over a giant spacer. Then order some ebay keys and spacers. Together lift will be at 8" then can run some 22x12 on 35s. If you don't want keys/spacers then can run 20x12 rims on 33s.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No experience with the lifts, but sounds like @01Konvict has got you covered. I'm just here to see pics when you get the lift and wheels/tires on!

OP
OP
5280Racer

5280Racer

Reaction score
I know all the kits pretty good. Each have their pros and cons. FTS is a good kit for the $ but the front is 1" increased track width and rear has no trailing arm drop brackets, measures right at 7". BDS is also good and 1.5" track width up front but has rear drop brackets for trailing arms, think it measures right at 6". Bullet has the best front end kit with no track width increase by dropping the entire front end but no rear trailing arm drop brackets, measures out right at 6". McGaughys is good also but increase track width 1.5" and has rear drop brackets, think it measures true 7".

If it was me then I would go bulletproof since no track width and special order procomp # 90-1785, 90-1790, 90-6276 from summit racing. Those parts # are procomp rear trailing arm drop brackets to help the rear end out over a giant spacer. Then order some ebay keys and spacers. Together lift will be at 8" then can run some 22x12 on 35s. If you don't want keys/spacers then can run 20x12 rims on 33s.

Yeah I'm not sure about which one.. I like bits and pieces of each... I definitely don't wanna use spring spacers I prefer full length springs which I can also have made cheap.. and I'm ditching the torsion bars for coil overs up front..not sure if I wanna do 33's or 35's I need to see those brackets your talking about maybe I can just make my own set up for the rear.. just need that stupid IFS drop box set up!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Well I have ran both stock rear springs with a spacer and longer springs. Both claim to be 6-7" lift but the only true measurement was stock springs with big spacer measured 7" and the 6" springs measured 5". Then if you plan to run helper bags you need to measure springs then call company to find a set that match up. I'm going back to the stock springs and big spacer. Good thing about pro comp and fabtech is each part is numbered so each piece can be special ordered from dealers like summit racing or 4 wheel parts. You can look up those part numbers in the pro comp instructions on their website and see how they work during the install. Good thing about running 33s is no need to regear and can go bigger later with keys and spacers. I have ran both 33s and 35s but prefer the wide look of 33s. The truck just handles way better to me and not as float feeling with weird tracking issues. Trust me when I say what kit to run and parts to buy. It will turn out perfect!

OP
OP
5280Racer

5280Racer

Reaction score
the company I used for springs before is called Coil Spring Specialties.. you need to give them a part number of your coil and then they spec whatever you want.. different rates and weights.. pretty cool only cost me $375.00 when I have some made for my drag truck.. I can probably set up as a dealer for bullet proof and get there front kit then order the pro comp stuff.. since I have an account with them.. Maybe I will just stick with 33's since its not a off road rig by no means.. just want fun and good looking..

2011-05-01_17-30-03_426.jpg

2011-05-01_17-29-52_87.jpg

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the company I used for springs before is called Coil Spring Specialties.. you need to give them a part number of your coil and then they spec whatever you want.. different rates and weights.. pretty cool only cost me $375.00 when I have some made for my drag truck.. I can probably set up as a dealer for bullet proof and get there front kit then order the pro comp stuff.. since I have an account with them.. Maybe I will just stick with 33's since its not a off road rig by no means.. just want fun and good looking..

2011-05-01_17-30-03_426.jpg

2011-05-01_17-29-52_87.jpg

Nice truck! What are the specs on the engine?

OP
OP
5280Racer

5280Racer

Reaction score
well back then it was a just a built 5.9 milled intake for side draft.. lots of fuel and 78mm/130mm compounds.. sold it a long time ago.. it eventually had a destroy 6.7 to 6.4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88

Latest posts