Looking to have front diff rebuilt... Any imput?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacon612

Reaction score
Hey All. Just registered here today. Been driving my 99 Denali for about 7 years and I just rolled over 220k miles.

Anyways, I recently began hearing some strange grinding popping noise when I use my 4wd. (which i rarely use)

I had a hunch that it was my front diff so I drained about a half ounce of the diff fluid and filtered it in a coffee filter. There were metal grindings in it. It obviously needs to be rebuilt. That said, does anyone know how long it takes a mechanic to do this job? Anyone had theirs done? I have heard $500.

Glad to be here now that Im registered and I hope to contribute to this forum with all the knowledge about my truck that Ive learned over the years!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a day job. Cost will vary. Parts alone are going to be about $500 or so maybe more. Install could be the same amount hopefully a little less

BWdiver

Reaction score
those front diffs usually dont go bad. are you sure its not the transfer case, just had the snap ring go out in mine made a terrible noise when engaged.

I know you said you had shavings, is this actual shavings or fine metal particals? most all diffs will have some sort of metal wear which is normal considering what kind of use the vehicle has been put though.

put your's on a lift and have someone start the truck and engage the 4x4 and get uder it and listen you can tell just where the noise is comming from.

my friend runs a tranny shop and they all drive chevy 4x4 trucks and has for years and they knew just what it was when they heard it. they say its a common problem and there's a fix kit for it. labor and parts was 500.00 out the door for mine. but most shop's won't be honest and charge you for a full rebuild, which can run a grand or so.

Good luck,
Bud.

Last edited: