looking to buy my first ever GMT800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
In my experience, I came a across a 4.8 when I was in the market and the only I could tell from the exterior was because it did not have a hitch receiver, but I don't know if that is specific to the 4.8 or not. Other than that it would just be looking at the engine. Another thing I always asked about when considering buying was how much towing the vehicle has done. I'm sure these make great tow vehicles, but I don't like the extra wear and tear on the driveline, especially the tranny. So I always pose the question of how much towing it's done in a way that sounds like I'm doubting if it could handle what I want to tow (I don't actually own anything to tow...). This usually triggers the seller to start bragging about all the things they've towed, how much it weighs, and how well the truck has done with it... Things I'm sure I wouldn't have heard if I had asked the question point blank "How much towing have you done with this?". I've walked away from a few after finding out the towing history.

For my money, all things being equal, I don't think that $2500.00 is worth 3 years newer. But it's hard to say that definitively without seeing both trucks.

Sorry for the long post, just somethings that popped into my head while reading your questions.
My 03 4.8 has a factory tow hitch, so they do come on the 4.8's.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, I came a across a 4.8 when I was in the market and the only I could tell from the exterior was because it did not have a hitch receiver, but I don't know if that is specific to the 4.8 or not. Other than that it would just be looking at the engine. Another thing I always asked about when considering buying was how much towing the vehicle has done. I'm sure these make great tow vehicles, but I don't like the extra wear and tear on the driveline, especially the tranny. So I always pose the question of how much towing it's done in a way that sounds like I'm doubting if it could handle what I want to tow (I don't actually own anything to tow...). This usually triggers the seller to start bragging about all the things they've towed, how much it weighs, and how well the truck has done with it... Things I'm sure I wouldn't have heard if I had asked the question point blank "How much towing have you done with this?". I've walked away from a few after finding out the towing history.

For my money, all things being equal, I don't think that $2500.00 is worth 3 years newer. But it's hard to say that definitively without seeing both trucks.

Sorry for the long post, just somethings that popped into my head while reading your questions.
A response like this is exactly what I'm looking for. I actually know nothing about a tahoe/yukon except for whatever I read here so personal experiences are helpful.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Interesting! In that case, I have no idea how you tell which engine it has from the exterior of the truck.
I think, other then running the vin, or maybe even the rpos, you could always look under the hood on the airbox. It says 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0, but the box could always be replaced or the sticker could be missing.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I tell if a tahoe I'm looking at has a 4.8 or 5.3?

I think, other then running the vin, or maybe even the rpos, you could always look under the hood on the airbox. It says 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0, but the box could always be replaced or the sticker could be missing.

In the glove box there should be a sticker that looks like this:

20160612_113700.jpg

Look for one of the following engine RPO codes:

4.8 - LR4
5.3 - LM7, L59
6.0 - LQ4, LQ9

Last edited:

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
In the glove box there should be a sticker that looks like this:

Look for one of the following engine RPO codes:

4.8 - LR4
5.3 - LM7, L59
6.0 - LQ4, LQ9

How is it possible I've gone this long without knowing about this magical sticker??? That's awesome! I've always wondered how you guys knew if you had an LQ4 or LQ9... Thank you sir.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
How is it possible I've gone this long without knowing about this magical sticker??? That's awesome! I've always wondered how you guys knew if you had an LQ4 or LQ9... Thank you sir.

That magical sticker tells you everything. Send a PM to @GM Customer Service with your VIN and email asking for a build sheet. The build sheet will decode all the RPOs for your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98