Looking for advice on best way to install a double din radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shtiv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been shopping for a double din stereo to replace my stock one in my 2002 Yukon Denali. I have watched YouTube videos and done numerous searches and have found unfinished bezels that will allow for a double din radio, I have no problem painting it to match, but the problem is that it does not have the wood trim. Wondering if the best way to go about this is to order a used bezel from a newer ride, or if they may be a better way going about this??? Thanks for any advice in advance.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Just order a used bezel from an 03+ Denali, keep in mind you need to do a lot of trimming inside the dash to make the Double din work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
easy to just cut your trim panel, did it on my 00 unless you were staring at it close you couldn't even notice, some of the inside plastic will likely have to be cut unless you get the alpine ilx-w650

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stripped all the fake wood from my 02 Denali and painted it. I used an 03 Denali bezel originally before I did that but those are getting to be real hard to find. If I was to do it over, I would just paint everything- never cared for the wood grain anyway. It’s not hard to strip it, I used scotchbrite and lacquer thinner. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ali-build-thread-aka-the-beast.83457/page-272

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
easy to just cut your trim panel, did it on my 00 unless you were staring at it close you couldn't even notice, some of the inside plastic will likely have to be cut unless you get the alpine ilx-w650
The Denali bezel is different. It curves in around the openings for the radio and hvac controls which makes it pretty much impossible to trim and have it look good. The Tahoe bezels are easy in comparison.

J Mac

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the bezel...but like others stated a double din that plays CD/DVD will require trimming inside the dash. Most of the digital media receivers (no CD/DVD slot) are not as deep so may not require any trimming. It's the bottom of the double din units that is too deep and hit part of the dash structure. Not difficult to trim but if you don't need a CD player just do with digital media receiver and make the install that much easier!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the bezel...but like others stated a double din that plays CD/DVD will require trimming inside the dash. Most of the digital media receivers (no CD/DVD slot) are not as deep so may not require any trimming. It's the bottom of the double din units that is too deep and hit part of the dash structure. Not difficult to trim but if you don't need a CD player just do with digital media receiver and make the install that much easier!
I had to rip out a metal support bar behind the radio. Radio was too deep and it hit. Since yours is an 02 you should get the radio cage from an 03-06. It'll allow you to slide the dd with no cutting.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to rip out a metal support bar behind the radio. Radio was too deep and it hit. Since yours is an 02 you should get the radio cage from an 03-06. It'll allow you to slide the dd with no cutting.
The metal brace back there will probably still need cutting. But yeah I forgot about the cage to go along with the 03-06 bezel.

SouthernDuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The maestro dash kit fit mine perfect and didn’t look bad unpainted. You can use some wood laminate to put the wood texture back on. Then cut it with a razor blade. Cutting in the media center is a turd unless you use an oscillating tool. Then it’s easy. Dremel tools didn’t really do a great job. I ended up using a fine toothed sawsall blade and vice grips to cut through all the plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE