looking for accessory fuse I can piggyback off of.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Tahoe Z71.

Installing auxiliary power box (like an s-pod) for offroad lights. Relay box installed under hood which gets power direct from battery, then lights plug into it.
There is an additional low current 12v line that comes from the aux power box that if connected to an accessory port will trigger the aux box on/off. I'm looking for a fuse port preferably on the left instrument panel fuse box hat I can use a fuse sistering adapter to attach. It needs to be something that turns off when truck is off.
I was looking into 36 Miscellaneous R/C. ? thoughts on this one or any others that would be a safe bet?

Thanks
-Tony

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2016 Tahoe Z71.

Installing auxiliary power box (like an s-pod) for offroad lights. Relay box installed under hood which gets power direct from battery, then lights plug into it.
There is an additional low current 12v line that comes from the aux power box that if connected to an accessory port will trigger the aux box on/off. I'm looking for a fuse port preferably on the left instrument panel fuse box hat I can use a fuse sistering adapter to attach. It needs to be something that turns off when truck is off.
I was looking into 36 Miscellaneous R/C. ? thoughts on this one or any others that would be a safe bet?

Thanks
-Tony
if it has power with the key on and does not when the key is off then you should be fine, I'm assuming this 12v lead is just to trigger a relay on/off?

OP
OP
T

TonyNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if it has power with the key on and does not when the key is off then you should be fine, I'm assuming this 12v lead is just to trigger a relay on/off?

yep, 12v line is just a trigger to tell the relay board that it can turn on/off

I really like to know what I'm piggybacking off of (so I know if there is a failure, what will be affected)...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, 12v line is just a trigger to tell the relay board that it can turn on/off

I really like to know what I'm piggybacking off of (so I know if there is a failure, what will be affected)...
the owners manual will show you what that fuse controls, if you don't have the owners manual it is free online
just google "2016 tahoe online owners manual" and it will usually be the first link

OP
OP
T

TonyNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the manual, the reason I am posting here is that I can't seem to get info on what some of these refer to and I was hoping someone had piggybacked off of one of these for a similar install with success.

Look here and scroll to "Instrument Panel Fuse Block (Left)

36 Miscellaneous R/C

Looking at that description, i'm not too sure what it is and can't find reference.

39 Instrument Cluster Battery

This one maybe is the line for batt gauge reading on the cluster, but as I don't know what current the gauge draws on this without testing, I don't know if it is a good spot to use.

37 Heated Steering Wheel

This one is obvious, but without knowing what the steering wheel heater draws, it may not be a good point to borrow from. ie If it is a 10 amp fuse and the heater already draws 8 amps (your are already at 80 percent of the rated fuse capacity), so you wouldn't want to use that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505