Looking at Escalades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new vehicle (current 2015 Silverado double cab) and I've been eyeing vehicles that would be roomier for additional passengers. Narrowing it down to Tahoe/Suburban or Escalade/ESV and I prefer the Escalades. There are a few concerns I am trying to figure out, as I am not familiar with these vehicles. Input greatly appreciated

- is the 6.2 a reliable engine (worth the declined mpg?)- I read about tuning and briefly started looking at tuners but also unfamiliar with tuners
- is premium grade fuel required for use in the 6.2?
- is there any years in particular to avoid/or target
- would 33's ride underneath without issue, I currently have a set on 18s for my truck I would like to be able to use for winter
- one particular escalade i found does not have the radio with the screen/navigation/back-up monitor. Wondering if installing a new radio unit would be a nightmare/worth it

Anything else to think about or look at while looking these?

I have been reading as much as i can on here trying to gather info, and I'm sure these questions might have been discussed previously. I really appreciate any input.
Thanks all

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you're looking for one between 2007 and 2014? The short one and not the ESV or EXT?

Cadillac offered these in various trim levels, the leather in the platinum models is really nice and unlike the best LTZ or SLT/Denali leather. Have you downloaded any brochures for them?

Most of these came with All Wheel Drive but some were made in 2WD.

Yes, you should run premium as the motor's run 10.5:1 compression.

The L92s were offered in 2007-2008 and do not have AFM*. The L9H makes more power and does not have AFM, 2009-2010. From 2010-2014 the L94 has AFM.

Mine own preference would be to find one 2009 or newer to get Bluetooth and other new features not available the first two years.

OP
OP
BAWLin in WI

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
I'm looking at 2007-2014

I am basically looking at the regular(short) version but open to an ESV if I come across a deal. (AWD needed... Winter driving conditions for part of the year)

A lot I've been finding around 110k-140k. I am guessing that that isn't a terrible high mileage in this day and age.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe these trucks are much better trucks than the new trucks, even ones plagued with the AFM. I just bought my 08 Escalade a few months ago with 135k miles after searching for over a year for the red with black interior and 2WD. There are common problems with them like any used vehicle so don't be surprised if you need to drop a few thousand into it after you buy it (depending on how much work you can do yourself can change that figure). I've loved this body style since they first came out and just haven't had the opportunity to own one until now. I'd love to buy a second one and replaced my wife's vehicle with it (maybe not an Escalade, but who knows what'll pop up). I'd love to find a Tahoe that needs pistons or a cam and lifters or something someone doesn't want to fix and just swap in a 6.0L which would scream with the 4 speed with 3.73 gears.

I've driven a lot of these trucks being a tech and the 6.2L is absolutely worth the MPG hit and premium fuel requirement. It is so effortless when driving (and you won't really notice this on a test drive) and almost never gets bogged down like the 5.3L will (unless you buy an 07/08 with the 4L60 and 3.73 gears). I agree swathdiver that the 2009-2010 with the L9H is the best years because of some features added but overall I love my 08 and don't really have a reason not to own an 07-08 if the right one came along. I think the earlier ones feel like they're a little better quality just from little things like the front door panels being way better than the cheapo ones they changed to in 2010 and the second row seat floor covers not just being carpet laid over the frames on the floor.

It is pretty easy to swap out the base radio for the navigation radio. You just need to make sure you buy a radio correct for your year or it won't program. I tried to upgrade my 2008 to the 2010 radio (which is the same just with the USB port) and could not get it to program.

OP
OP
BAWLin in WI

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
It is pretty easy to swap out the base radio for the navigation radio. You just need to make sure you buy a radio correct for your year or it won't program. I tried to upgrade my 2008 to the 2010 radio (which is the same just with the USB port) and could not get it to program.

Any problems swapping in an aftermarket brand radio unit? I haven't done one since I was in high school and thought it was "cool" so it's been a while for me

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the only available dash kit looking like complete garbage in my opinion, not really. I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket radio unless you planned on replacing everything though. I don't think the factory system sounds that great, I replaced the factory stuff with aftermarket in mine but kept the factory radio.

RRWW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For dash kit lookup Best Kits BKGMK265 it looks much better then the kits that first came out. It also keeps the radio in the same spot instead of moving it lower.

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe these trucks are much better trucks than the new trucks, even ones plagued with the AFM. I just bought my 08 Escalade a few months ago with 135k miles after searching for over a year for the red with black interior and 2WD. There are common problems with them like any used vehicle so don't be surprised if you need to drop a few thousand into it after you buy it (depending on how much work you can do yourself can change that figure). I've loved this body style since they first came out and just haven't had the opportunity to own one until now. I'd love to buy a second one and replaced my wife's vehicle with it (maybe not an Escalade, but who knows what'll pop up). I'd love to find a Tahoe that needs pistons or a cam and lifters or something someone doesn't want to fix and just swap in a 6.0L which would scream with the 4 speed with 3.73 gears.

I've driven a lot of these trucks being a tech and the 6.2L is absolutely worth the MPG hit and premium fuel requirement. It is so effortless when driving (and you won't really notice this on a test drive) and almost never gets bogged down like the 5.3L will (unless you buy an 07/08 with the 4L60 and 3.73 gears). I agree swathdiver that the 2009-2010 with the L9H is the best years because of some features added but overall I love my 08 and don't really have a reason not to own an 07-08 if the right one came along. I think the earlier ones feel like they're a little better quality just from little things like the front door panels being way better than the cheapo ones they changed to in 2010 and the second row seat floor covers not just being carpet laid over the frames on the floor.

does yours have a 4speed? I have never seen a 2007-14 with a 4 speed. I have an 08 with a 6 speed and 342 gearing. my sons 06 escalade has the 4 speed. I hunted down this year and color with black interior on purpose. 07 had the AEM crap but not activated and 08 does not have any of it and 09 got it and activated it. My motor also is the l92 403hp. I thought that was what 07-14 had?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For dash kit lookup Best Kits BKGMK265 it looks much better then the kits that first came out. It also keeps the radio in the same spot instead of moving it lower.

That kit doesn’t look bad, actually. I’ve never seen that kit before. This is the kit I was talking about that looks terrible.

7B300FC0-AB3F-44D0-B509-03288055F6C7.jpeg

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does yours have a 4speed? I have never seen a 2007-14 with a 4 speed. I have an 08 with a 6 speed and 342 gearing. my sons 06 escalade has the 4 speed. I hunted down this year and color with black interior on purpose. 07 had the AEM crap but not activated and 08 does not have any of it and 09 got it and activated it. My motor also is the l92 403hp. I thought that was what 07-14 had?

No. No 07-14 Escalade has the 4 speed the 6.2L always had the 6 speed. 07-08 Chevrolet and GMC full-size with the 5.3L had the 4 speed. The 6 speed didn’t trickle down to the 5.3L until 09. Sorry, I didn’t specify I meant Chevrolet and GMC when I brought up the 5.3L.

As far as the 6.2L is concerned, the L92 was 2007-2008, the L9H was 2009-2010, and the L94 was 2010-2014.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts