Looking at buying NBS Hoe/Kon; questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see there are third row options.
Ill be damned if I can find a pic showing before and after seats are removed.
No use for them so wanna see if there are differences other than just having the option.
Some of the middle seats are split to get in the rear, can the third row seat replace them so they will be just like the non-third row option?
TIA

My NBS second row seats are buckets and they bolt in, fold down but not flat to the floor. The third row seats are easily removable since they latch in/out with no tools, but would not latch in to the 2nd row since the mounts aren't there.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoes, Yukons, and Escalades are all short wheel base, same thing. Escalades and Denalis will all have leather, a nicer interior, and your only way to get a 6.0 in one of these GM820 body styles from fractory. Suburbans, Yukon XL and escalade ESV are long wheel base. The avalanche and Escalade EXT are the adjustable pickups and are also long wheel base.

Tahoes and Yukons (NON-Denali) were only 2wd or 4wd,
Escalades were 2wd (which is rare) or AWD.
Denalis were all AWD (2001-2006)

All of these came with a V8, so anyone who tells you that is a little uninformed and wasting time..
You can always tell externally (if its right in front of you) by looking at the VIN under the windshield on the drivers side dash, or if its listed in an ad. The 8th digit on the VIN is your engine identifier.

VIN # 8th digit
V 4.8
T 5.3
Z 5.3 FF
U 6.0 LQ4
N 6.0 LQ9
I didn’t know about the 8th digit of the VIN indicating which engine option! Good to know!

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
You guys rock! Thank you all!

So yeah I think Im not gonna let the third row thing bother me. Especially since they can be removed entirely. I myself have no need whatsoever for the third row, and if the second is split rather than a full bench Im not gonna let that bother me. I was just worried that it was gonna be different flooring and take away space.
Does anyone have pics for comparison? Just curious.

Reason Ive been stuck on the mileage is that it is super rare to find one under 160 in my area. Most are 200k plus. And I do mean most as in like 90%.

Good to know about AWD, looks like I will shy away from those. No need for the 6.0, only the 5.3 worries me with the CASTECH head issues. Thinking about borrowing a camera snake so I can see under the rocker covers.

Ive actually just came across a Tahoe 5.3 (202k) listed as AWD. Pic is hard to see. Looks like it has all the normal 4x4 buttons, but is missing the top button (Auto IIRC). Guy says it is always AWD and is autoride air suspension. No idea... So maybe it wasnt just the 6.0 that had AWD???

Also forgot to ask. Which ones come with 16" wheels? I have almost new tires on my dying Dakota.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
My NBS second row seats are buckets and they bolt in, fold down but not flat to the floor. The third row seats are easily removable since they latch in/out with no tools, but would not latch in to the 2nd row since the mounts aren't there.

Is that the same for all? Whether 3rd row optiond or not?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You guys rock! Thank you all!

So yeah I think Im not gonna let the third row thing bother me. Especially since they can be removed entirely. I myself have no need whatsoever for the third row, and if the second is split rather than a full bench Im not gonna let that bother me. I was just worried that it was gonna be different flooring and take away space.
Does anyone have pics for comparison? Just curious.

Reason Ive been stuck on the mileage is that it is super rare to find one under 160 in my area. Most are 200k plus. And I do mean most as in like 90%.

Good to know about AWD, looks like I will shy away from those. No need for the 6.0, only the 5.3 worries me with the CASTECH head issues. Thinking about borrowing a camera snake so I can see under the rocker covers.

Ive actually just came across a Tahoe 5.3 (202k) listed as AWD. Pic is hard to see. Looks like it has all the normal 4x4 buttons, but is missing the top button (Auto IIRC). Guy says it is always AWD and is autoride air suspension. No idea... So maybe it wasnt just the 6.0 that had AWD???

Also forgot to ask. Which ones come with 16" wheels? I have almost new tires on my dying Dakota.

The head issue is fairly localized to one casting number. You can see it on the passenger side front easily. 706 is the problematic number. The 862 is the other option (the one you want) with a significantly lower failure rate.

There were a few AWD tahoes with 5.3s.

I believe all NBS had 16" stock except the z71 tahoes were 17".

Is that the same for all? Whether 3rd row optiond or not?

Yes. The 3rd row doesn't change anything except the mounting points are there. The second row bench folds flat, the captains will not.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The head issue is fairly localized to one casting number. You can see it on the passenger side front easily. 706 is the problematic number. The 862 is the other option (the one you want) with a significantly lower failure rate.
OP, You will see the casting number right on the front PS corner, just below the oil filler cap.

There were a few AWD tahoes with 5.3s.
You sure about that? I thought only 2wd and 4wd on the tahoes. I was just looking at this, I think the AWD ONLY came with the 6.0 (and AWD was only on denalis and escalades). The rest were Rwd or 4wd.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoes, Yukons, and Escalades are all short wheel base, same thing. Escalades and Denalis will all have leather, a nicer interior, and your only way to get a 6.0 in one of these GM820 body styles from fractory. Suburbans, Yukon XL and escalade ESV are long wheel base. The avalanche and Escalade EXT are the adjustable pickups and are also long wheel base.

Tahoes and Yukons (NON-Denali) were only 2wd or 4wd,
Escalades were 2wd (which is rare) or AWD.
Denalis were all AWD (2001-2006)

All of these came with a V8, so anyone who tells you that is a little uninformed and wasting time..
You can always tell externally (if its right in front of you) by looking at the VIN under the windshield on the drivers side dash, or if its listed in an ad. The 8th digit on the VIN is your engine identifier.

VIN # 8th digit
V 4.8
T 5.3
Z 5.3 FF
U 6.0 LQ4
N 6.0 LQ9

So my vin has a z indicating it is flex fuel capable.

Serious question I just bought the truck (04 with 94k miles) and would it be kosher to drive down to the local sheetz that has flex fuel and full up?

What if I had a quarter tank of 87?

Sorry to hijack just generally curious.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem, @Tyler Houseknecht. Your truck should have a flex fuel sensor (unless it's been bypassed or removed) that monitors the ethanol mixture and compensates. I would say not to make a drastic switch between all E10 and E85, but mix them so the electronics can adjust. You may experience cold weather start issues when running a high percentage of E85 in your tank.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You sure about that? I thought only 2wd and 4wd on the tahoes. I was just looking at this, I think the AWD ONLY came with the 6.0 (and AWD was only on denalis and escalades). The rest were Rwd or 4wd.

Yes. 2004.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
OP, You will see the casting number right on the front PS corner, just below the oil filler cap.

Thanks! I knew about casting location from have a 99 Z28. Just didnt know there were different ones on the 5.3
Good to know!

As for the awd question; https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/888032244918905/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts