Looking at a yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 04 Yukon Denali for 2 years now. I purchased with no maintenance records and did not run a carfax. I regret these things and I should have took a scanner with me when I bought it. Any decent scanner will tell you the drive cycle readiness (an indicator to when the codes were last cleared). I believe that the person I purchased it from did a quick polish on it to get it sold. That being said, everything I have fixed on it has been relatively minor and easy for a shade tree guy.

Things I have corrected since I have owned it;

Full front and rear suspension refresh.
Throttle body and connector
Evap canister
New Oil pan (cracked; god knows how)
Recovered front seats
Removed peeling coating from center console and spray painted black

I suspect the cooling system and AC compressor, compressor is on the to do list before summer hits here in AZ.

Some personal touches;

Wheels and tires
Escalade roof rack and appliques
drop rear coils

Things that are inevitable with the 4l65 & AWD platform;
Axels - The GM 8.25 in the front has a pattern of destroying itself.

Transmission - It's going to go, depending on your skill as a mechanic is going to determine cost. As @willthom said.

Transfer Case - I've heard differing opinions on how stout the BW4481 transfer case is.

Engine - The LS series of truck engines is known for its longevity and performance potential. Parts are plentiful and relatively affordable.

All pieces of the drivetrain I am willing to R&R, but will take to a professional to rebuild. The only thing I may tackle rebuilding myself is the engine. There is plenty of reference material I feel pretty confident I could complete this myself. Except machine work and installing cam bearings, I would leave that to the professionals.

Electrical systems are sensitive to grounding issues and low voltage. Keep your grounds clean and tight and healthy batteries in it and there should not be issues.

Properly maintained, these trucks are very reliable, comfortable, and good looking. Keep your fluids clean, joints greased, bushings tight, bearings lubed and she will run for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645