Long Term (<4 Years) Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Sophistication

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like I said before. # months in a self storage unit will be ok as long as you unhook the battery at the negative side. You may still have to jump start when come back and depending on the battery age, it may need to be replaced. I would put some fuel stabilizer in the tank but the rest should be ok. If you leave it outside, that is a whole other story. You are going to have critters in there somewhere. Either way, I would put a desiccant kit in the cab. Dri-Z-Air is best, IMO. If you do put in a storage unit, back it in so have easy access to battery when come back. Plus, either way, set it on jack stands if can. Flat spots on tires suck the big one.

Just starting to read through the entire thread now.

The battery is more of less new. I just bought the truck back in September.

I didn't realize flat spots can develop that quickly.

I'm down in FL so I have the sun to combat too..... The Tahoe is too big to fit in my garage.

I have the option of having my father run it but to be honest, he's a terrible driver. He's espeically bad at driving large vechicles..... I'm going to have to pick my poison.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 20s, I would have flat spots in the tires just from a week of sitting. They'd work out after about 10 miles, but it definitely happens. Tires were 275/55-20 Goodyear Eagle LS-2.

rjr

Reaction score
As to 4 years storage: Stabilizer won't function for 4 years. In marine use, a full tank over winter storage is preferable because it reduces condensation, butthat's only for 6 months or so. As for draining a tank, that does not get fuel out of pumps, lines, injectors, so expect this ethanol junk to have gummed up. Also, some exhaust falves will be open, allowing moisture to drift into cylinders. Best advice would be to sell and then buy new.

As for a 3-month layup, I would not remove battery and thereby dump all settings. Besiide it's a bear of a job on recent Yukons I would consider a battery maintenance charge, with a timer to run for an hour a day. I would not use a cheap trickle charger on 24/7.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel goes bad quick. I read a study years ago that mixing fresh fuel with old (but not ancient) fuel will make it suitable for regular use. I’d really try to find some ethanol free fuel. When I was overseas I had my buddy visit 6 mos to run the vehicles. With synthetic oils, the metal parts will lose their coating quickly even if you use treatments like Camguard. The killer is the moisture in the engine that gets boils off when it’s run at regular operating temp for a while.
IIRC I ran the tanks low, dumped in a concoction of stabil and techron then filled about 10 gallons. I also put all my cars and equipment n Noco Genius battery maintainers. CLOSE all of the windows too! My buddy left one of the windows down and the humidity in the garage left a coating of green moss all over the interior of my VW!

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great suggestions.... just have to fit what suits you..
Maybe i 've missed it... where ya heading? being Militarily(that a word?) deployed? On the job?
Perhaps like 2 buddies of mine both found Romance across the Pond. HAHAHHA One guy was more worried about his Bass boat than anything.
Either way Good luck and or thank you for your service.
See ya back here on these shores soon.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents is to agree that it's better to sell it. You can find another when you get home.

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
Stabile in non ethanol fuel will stay viable for about 24 months. That's a lot better then nothing and better then draining the tank. IMHO

Duzer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a vehicle in storage for 4 years and 2 months so maybe I can give some insight from my experience. The military gave me orders to move overseas and the government paid to store my vehicle at a facility in Dallas. I was only told that it was recommended I have fresh oil in the car. I didn't add any fuel additive to the tank. It was stored in a warehouse and they started it once a month and moved it to prevent flat spots on the tires.

About 3 years in they contacted me to tell me I had a bad battery. They needed my authorization to replace it and charge me. When I finally went to pick it up, everything was fine and they gave me a coupon for a free oil change at Sears. I didn't have any fuel issues. They could have put additive in the tank but I'm not really sure. I got the oil changed and drove it 1300 miles to my next base with no issues.

My car was a 94 Acura so I didn't bother selling it since it's value wouldn't depreciate much more. With a car as new as yours, I would recommend selling it because of depreciation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cateyeburb