Long Term (<4 Years) Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I just created this account and this was going to be my first question.

I'm only going away for three months though. I'm probably going to leave it outside.... Will look into climate controlled units but I'm not sure it's worth it for only three months.

Look forward to reading through all the comments.

Just starting to read through the entire thread now.

The battery is more of less new. I just bought the truck back in September.

I didn't realize flat spots can develop that quickly.

I'm down in FL so I have the sun to combat too..... The Tahoe is too big to fit in my garage.

I have the option of having my father run it but to be honest, he's a terrible driver. He's espeically bad at driving large vechicles..... I'm going to have to pick my poison.

I store my Cadillac for 5-6 months (before I started the motor swap) and did nothing but park it, pull the negative, and walk away. I wouldn't worry about.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you go over seas?
Ever thought about taking your car with you?
And maybe sell it overseas?

I am german and it was hard to find my 2011 Yukon her in germany.
And the prices are much higher than in the US....

Huh.... I just received an e-mail from a happy guy in Germany. He bought my 1988 GMC truck from an importer there ( US.Cars )..... I sold it to one of their local guys here in Florida.... They have a pretty nice indoor lot. A lot of nice cars & trucks, from the '40's to new. .. A few Surburbans, etc.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Huh.... I just received an e-mail from a happy guy in Germany. He bought my 1988 GMC truck from an importer there ( US.Cars )..... I sold it to one of their local guys here in Florida.... They have a pretty nice indoor lot. A lot of nice cars & trucks, from the '40's to new. .. A few Surburbans, etc.
Other countries love American cars--pricey over there too.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other countries love American cars--pricey over there too.

You would figure, after selling your truck ( you spent 1/2 your life in) overseas, ...you would never see it again. Pretty neat to see it come to life again!!

( 2 pics I took off of a FB video, as the new owner drives it away from dealer)

88 Truck Germany side.JPG 88 Truck Germany rear.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 months is nothing unhook the battery, leave it, when you come back hook up the battery, drive home.
I have a battery that has been sitting in the garage for 2 years now I could put it in my truck right now and start it up, I check it every once in a while with a meter it's still holding 12v, I had to throw it in the old lady's truck for a few days last year worked fine. I stored one vehicle on the side of a friends house for a year with just a car cover, battery disconnected, hooked the battery up started it up and drove it home a year later.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to mention this, but if I was going to be away for a spell, I could have a friend or neighbor to babysit the truck. Start it up once in a while & drive around the block.

Upon your return, hand him a handful of NICE cigars. ( Don't tell his wife ;) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645