Lock on Tailgate Near License Plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoJoDec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am hoping for a little help. I just got my 2005 Yukon XL SLT back from the shop, and my wife noticed a lock tumbler sitting on the rear bumper. We noticed a small black door next to the license plate that was open. I tried to fit the tumbler inside and it fit perfectly. I crawled under and looked. There's a tube that the tumbler fits into, but it doesn't attach to anything.

The key from the ignition is what turns the lock. This has us scratching our head a bit...can anyone give me any indication what this is for?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the spare tire hoist. It has a lock so nobody can steal your spare. To lower the spare, if you have one, you take your jack handle, snap the two long straight pieces together and insert the larger female end into that tube until it engages the hoist, then the tire iron fits onto the male end and acts as a T handle so you can turn the extensions and lower the spare. Sometimes the hoist gets hung up, if so let us know and we can offer solutions.

Aquamania001

Reaction score
I had my hoist replaced with one that does not have that "hook" to hold the tire up. My mechanic replaced it and no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645