Little Help chasing a short?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score

A Little Advice Needed​

I recently replaced a bad driver door switch module. Everything worked fin at first. Then, the driver window down/up stopped working. Now works sometimes, but not always. Yesterdeay morning my battery was dead. Charged it and had it checked. Battery is OK. Any suggestions where to look next? Also, if this is a short in the switch plug or module harness, can I temporarily remove a fuse to bypass the problem? Thanks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A Little Advice Needed​

I recently replaced a bad driver door switch module. Everything worked fin at first. Then, the driver window down/up stopped working. Now works sometimes, but not always. Yesterdeay morning my battery was dead. Charged it and had it checked. Battery is OK. Any suggestions where to look next? Also, if this is a short in the switch plug or module harness, can I temporarily remove a fuse to bypass the problem? Thanks.

Gonna have to start by isolating the problem component. Since this started after replacing the switch module, start there. Go about it as you would with diagnosing any other parasitic draw. There are tons of how-tos on YouTube. Basically, you'll connect a digital volt meter that reads DC amps inline with the battery then unplug the switch module to see if the amperage drops. It's possible the new one is defective, just in a different manner than your previous one. Or maybe you pinched a wire or have it misrouted and it's cut on some of the sharp metal in there.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is also possible that your issue is a short or broken wire in the wiring harness that goes from the door to the body, since it bends every time that you open/close the door. But, start first with @iamdub 's suggestion.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
It is also possible that your issue is a short or broken wire in the wiring harness that goes from the door to the body, since it bends every time that you open/close the door. But, start first with @iamdub 's suggestion.
Thanks for the input. I’ll be taking it to a shop to find and fix the problem. But the soonest they can get to it is a week from now. My immediate need it to see if I can pull a fuse and kill the circuit where the short is happening. Do you know if there is a separate fuse to the driver window or just the one fuse fore the whole driver control module? Thanks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I’ll be taking it to a shop to find and fix the problem. But the soonest they can get to it is a week from now. My immediate need it to see if I can pull a fuse and kill the circuit where the short is happening. Do you know if there is a separate fuse to the driver window or just the one fuse fore the whole driver control module? Thanks.
Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your question, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz