Little Bit of easy Maintenance for the 15 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to gain back some lost MPG, noticed over the year, same driving but now 2mpg less
100k miles currently on the odo
also running rich at startup/idle (truck stinks big time, I have other modern v8 around, none smell like this)

not quite severe duty, but lots of Idling in the AZ Heat

I am planning on changing the following, these are relatively inexpensive parts, I can change myself, have you guys done any of these on your 15 and later

-Spark Plugs (just done recently, OEM parts)

-first I'll do 2 can of intake cleaner, hopefully cleaning up any carbon buildup a bit
-4 new oxygen sensors
- new mass sensor
-new air filter (these are changed on time)

Truck is stock, no xmas tree lights on

anyone changed the above and got better drivebility/ symptoms I have above resolved?

thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might get some more responses if you post in the 2015-2020 section of the forum. (@soulsea)

What has been your fluid change intervals for Transmission, Differentials, Transfer Case?
What are you running for fuel?

Plug Wires might be worth while.

Might see how dirty your throttle body is.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might get some more responses if you post in the 2015-2020 section of the forum. (@soulsea)

What has been your fluid change intervals for Transmission, Differentials, Transfer Case?
What are you running for fuel?

Plug Wires might be worth while.

Might see how dirty your throttle body is.

Never changed any fluids apart from Brake fluid and Oil fluid.
I am not sure if I want the dealership trans fluid exchange or some other shop that are recommending fluid removal, flush and new fluid

I just want standard stuff

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never changed any fluids apart from Brake fluid and Oil fluid.
I am not sure if I want the dealership trans fluid exchange or some other shop that are recommending fluid removal, flush and new fluid

I just want standard stuff
I would at least do the fluids in your transfer case and your differentials. For the transmission, if you drop the pan and replace the filter, that will get you a new filter and about 4-6 qts of new fluid. Another option is to leave your pan alone and suck the fluid that is in your pan out through your dipstick and then replace it.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would at least do the fluids in your transfer case and your differentials. For the transmission, if you drop the pan and replace the filter, that will get you a new filter and about 4-6 qts of new fluid. Another option is to leave your pan alone and suck the fluid that is in your pan out through your dipstick and then replace it.

Thanks I will have somewhere drop the pan and replace filter and new fluid for the transmission!

my Truck is a 2wd, so I dont think I would have any other fluid to change

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will have somewhere drop the pan and replace filter and new fluid for the transmission!

my Truck is a 2wd, so I dont think I would have any other fluid to change
I would still do your rear differential.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to gain back some lost MPG, noticed over the year, same driving but now 2mpg less
100k miles currently on the odo
also running rich at startup/idle (truck stinks big time, I have other modern v8 around, none smell like this)

not quite severe duty, but lots of Idling in the AZ Heat

I am planning on changing the following, these are relatively inexpensive parts, I can change myself, have you guys done any of these on your 15 and later

-Spark Plugs (just done recently, OEM parts)

-first I'll do 2 can of intake cleaner, hopefully cleaning up any carbon buildup a bit
-4 new oxygen sensors
- new mass sensor
-new air filter (these are changed on time)

Truck is stock, no xmas tree lights on

anyone changed the above and got better drivebility/ symptoms I have above resolved?

thanks!

I have 16 Hoe with 90K miles. Mileage dropped 1-2 MPG also but not enough for me to do anything about it just yet. Still performs like brand new. Glad it runs on 87 regular.

I have never noticed any better gas mileage or performance from changing spark plugs in any vehicle I owned. Will leave my plugs in till 150K miles or more unless there is a issue with them.

Air Filter gets changed around 40K miles and sometimes less. Same goes for the cabin filter.

Not messing with sensors unless a check engine light comes on.

Intake Cleaning I plan on doing by 100K miles as carbon buildup could be a issue with Direct Injection. I wish GM had Port Injection mixed in with the Direct Injection as that would alleviate the carbon issue.

Gets serviced every 5K miles since new. Generally at the dealer.

A/C is constantly on as I just set it and forget the entire time I own it. That went for every vehicle I owned. It idles here and there in the Miami jungle heat mostly waiting in line at the drive thru take out or bank as lines are generally long.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you switched brands of gasoline? Fuel without ethanol will give you a significant increase in mileage.

Brother Bluto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think the chance that the O2 sensors AND the MAS AND the ECM fail at the same time are so extremely remote, it is implausible. Generally, if there is a failure in the fuel management system, it goes full rich to prevent detonation, but you mention no CEL. Are you sure it works? Try to get the codes read to see if there is anything. The plugs / coils may be a place to look, but without any CEL, the other stuff is just throwing money at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas