List of items for aftermarket HU install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just a list of everything you need to install a new head unit in your Tahoe/Yukon. You're by no means limited by these manufacturers or sellers. It's just meant to be a list of what you need. I see alot of guys unsure of whether to take on this project or even have one installed as they don't know what to buy.

I found that amazon had the best prices and reviews on what I needed. Here's what I bought. And should include everything you need to install - or have installed - a new head unit in your truck:

Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED
Sold by: Thousandshores Inc
$19.99
(This is by far the best reviewed backup cam on amazon.)

Axxess GMOS-LAN-02 GM/LAN Amplified Integrated Harness for 2006-Up Select GM / Chevrolet Vehicles
$99.99

Metra 95-3305 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for 2006-up Chevrolet Vehicles
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$9.43

2.4g Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for the Vehicle Backup Camera/front Car Camera
Sold by: CyberVision Electronics
$15.99

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$48.47

Total was below $200. Or right at there. With shipping and taxes.

I bought my HU from www.eincar.com. It was $199.99. I think there may only be one or two units at that price on the site. Which is about the only way your gonna find it on their expansive but ****** website. It's an android unit and shipped to me within just a few days. I was surprised. It's by far the best deal on a head unit right now. For what it does.

And if your willing to take the chance on a product from China. I buy from China all the time. And found good reviews of these type android units. The one in question above is 6.2 inch, two din (your truck takes a two din), 2ghz processor, mirrorlink (see what you see on your phone on the head unit), gps, back up cam compatible, works with steering wheel controls, hd radio, sd card slot, can use your phones wifi to get internet access, connects your phone via bluetooth, also takes cd's and dvd's. You can opt for a 7 inch version but you lose the ability to play cd's and dvds.

I could buy a Kenwood or Pioneer android unit. But it would cost me $500-$600+? And all I really wanted was a backup cam for my XL. So for as cheap as the cheapest Crutchfield unit I get everything listed above. If it works that's cherry on the sundae. If not I won't be heart broken. But from all the reviews everything works just fine. Plus my installer is down with these kinds of units.

I'll let everyone know how the install goes. I'm having it done professionally. Just wanted to post this list. As I see alot of guys stymied by what they need to get to install a new head unit.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you install android apps like uber/lyft/youtube on it? With a wifi hotspot on your phone, you can provide endless entertainment but does it also handle dual zone? Thats the one thing most will need in our trucks, thus why I went with a pioneer.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing I read about these china units is that they are laggy, for example... long boot up times, and it takes a few seconds to load the reverse camera picture.

it is the only reason that swayed me from them. there are plenty of ~200 dollar pioneer units with a video input that will do the same job without the lag IMO.

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you install android apps like uber/lyft/youtube on it? With a wifi hotspot on your phone, you can provide endless entertainment but does it also handle dual zone? Thats the one thing most will need in our trucks, thus why I went with a pioneer.

If I understand what you mean by "dual zone". You'd have to read the specs on the unit. Or similar units. I would assume so. I didn't look because I don't use it. The only screen I have is on the HU. I assume that's what you mean by dual zone. I'll try to check the specs later tonight and get back to you.

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing I read about these china units is that they are laggy, for example... long boot up times, and it takes a few seconds to load the reverse camera picture.

it is the only reason that swayed me from them. there are plenty of ~200 dollar pioneer units with a video input that will do the same job without the lag IMO.

I think there is a lag when you first turn your unit on. But once its booted it comes right on in 1-2 seconds. That's what I've seen in videos of similar models by a different manufacturer. I'm not sure about this one that I picked up. But it's got a 2ghz processor. While most of the $200 name brand units have far less. Like less than a gig. So it's got to be faster on some level.

Anyway. If it works out cool. If not I'll upgrade to a US unit. All the other parts match up. Except the harness for the steering wheel perhaps.

If you guys have any links to more info it would be greatly appreciated. I've been researching these units for awhile now. And there isn't alot of info on them. Other than stupid youtube comments. lol. Would be nice to find a definitive forum on the subject.

Last edited:

BARRETT001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread as I just recently picked up a 2010 Yukon XL for the wife and she's sad that it lacks navigation. I've been looking at the various android units designed for the Yukon on alibaba.com and narrowed it down to a 7" Android 6.0 8-core for $300 with a slightly confusing product listing or 7" Android 5.1.1 Quad-core unit that runs around $200 and sounds pretty legit. My issue would be the wiring and general hookups so I look forward to seeing how yours works out.

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread as I just recently picked up a 2010 Yukon XL for the wife and she's sad that it lacks navigation. I've been looking at the various android units designed for the Yukon on alibaba.com and narrowed it down to a 7" Android 6.0 8-core for $300 with a slightly confusing product listing or 7" Android 5.1.1 Quad-core unit that runs around $200 and sounds pretty legit. My issue would be the wiring and general hookups so I look forward to seeing how yours works out.

Ya. Considering 64% of the reviews on Amazon were positive and 37% were negative (even though several of them admitted it was a great unit. even with the problems they had.) it's a crap shoot. But one in our favor. I'd be interested to see the one you found for $200. Just to see how it compares to the one I found on eincar.com. Problem with their site? No product codes. You can't search for a single unit on the entire site. And they sell hundreds of them. I think they may be the OEM that all of these other companies are branding. But I could be wrong. Someone makes them all. Cause they all look exactly the same. Just different white lettering on the front of the bezel.

I figure if all I wanted was a back up camera to begin with (That's all I really wanted or needed.). And the cheapest unit that had a back up cam (and nav) from Crutchfield was $200. I can't go wrong with the crapshoot of a unit that does what thousand dollar units do stateside. Why not take the risk? I might end up with a super neat all in one nav/dvd/cd/bluetooth wonderboy. Or a back up camera. LOL. Either way I think I'll still come out ahead of just a back up camera. It might be slow. It might not run dvd's right or something (just making that up). I still think I'll end up with a WAY better unit than the $200 Crutchfield.

I use Crutchfield as an example as I am not going to put this in myself. Then you really have to ask yourself if it's worth the risk/hassle (meaning the risk of diy). But I trust Crutchfield to stand behind their product. And fix any issues. So if I did go the cheap China Android route (and have the local stereo shop install it) I'm still running the risk of them not "standing behind them". But one thing I forgot to mention was that eincar offers an 18 month warranty. Could be complete ********. But I've talked to them extensively by email. And they've been at least prompt and courteous. So we will see. It sits in my garage as we speak. I just have to make time with the installer. All of the parts above have come in and are just waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo