Limited slip going out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Griffith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
anybody have an idea of the ramifications of driving with an worn out posi unit. i have a 2001 yukon xl i ordered brand new , it has just shy of 119000 miles on it and the posi is now a 1 legger. its been making a weird noise at low speed at random times when pulling out of the driveway for awhile now .i just put in a new trans 1 year ago dont really want to drop another $12-1400 bucks into it, any input would be appreciated.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be a fluid change. There was a time when some GM diffs required a 4 oz bottle of additive with the fresh fluid.

OP
OP
B

Brian Griffith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks wylie, but this model year took the synthetic gear oil with no additives to be used.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May consider swapping the carrier for something like a Detroit truetrac. prolly a better working unit anyway.

OP
OP
B

Brian Griffith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I thought of that I just really don't want to keep pouring money into this thing even though the truck is in really nice shape after replacing the ABS unit, the gas tank ,and the tranny its already added up to more than the trucks actually worth. Dumping another grand or better into it just doesn't make any sense

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody have an idea of the ramifications of driving with an worn out posi unit. i have a 2001 yukon xl i ordered brand new , it has just shy of 119000 miles on it and the posi is now a 1 legger. its been making a weird noise at low speed at random times when pulling out of the driveway for awhile now .i just put in a new trans 1 year ago dont really want to drop another $12-1400 bucks into it, any input would be appreciated.

Why not get a junkyard rear and do a swap for about $500 or so? If you don't spend something on it, it's going to wind up not running sooner or later.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon

Second: What do you think a 2001 Yukon XL is worth with only 119k miles on it? That is some low miles.

Third: Have you ever done a fluid change on that diff? If so, when? If not, why not? If not, would be your fault for none maintenance. Again, unknown answers.

Fourth: Like James said, get a salvage yard unit and swap it out. Then you will not be paying your $1200 to $1400. Hopefully you have the tools and know how to do it. It is a very basic task.

OP
OP
B

Brian Griffith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Viet vet thanks for the welcome going rate for a truck in my condition around my area is probably five grand if I'm lucky maybe 6.

Yes I have serviced the rear end a couple of times.

Yes I thought about the wrecking yard angle but depending on the age of the rear end that I find I could be in the same boat.the limited slip GM used back then was a piece of crap have a cousin and a good friend that we're both Chevrolet service technicians both told me the same thing they replaced those things constantly. And yes I could do the junkyard swap myself I do have all the tools and knowledge it's just at a certain point Is it wise 2 keep throwing money into a car that's almost 20 years old.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you want to keep driving it, then YES! Take care of what the Lord gave ya.

Agreed. If it is paid off, meets your needs, is not all beat up, you like it when it is working right, then keep it. If you are just in the mood for something new, likely paying higher insurance, making payments if you can't buy outright and if used getting something you have to start all over with when it comes to the unknown history, then get a new(er) one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coldlegos

Latest posts