Light bar inside behind windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you aren't in snow country! I even hated the Clearance Lights on the one tons roof for glare!

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get to work on it yesterday today I scrapped the first brackets I made and made a new set that are a little simpler and fit alot better I also moved it back and down little more. I like how it's sitting now but moving it back causes couple issues first now longer can just lower the mirror and second there's more gap between it and headliner so gotta cover that somehow. The mirror I have a simple solution for. I will make a piece of 8th inch plate that will attach to roof structure behind map light and switch panel, with a couple self tappers and come out between headliner and windshield and go down and behind the light bar and will connect to the shroud to support the middle of it. Then reangle mirrors post upward and attach it to that center brace. The mirror will be about same height as stock but About 3 inches back closer toward seats should be alright like that. started making template for shroud but didn't get far with it yet. This is taking forever to get done but I only get a little time to work on it and I want it to look good so going slow. Gonna focus on finishing mirror bracket first then finish the shroud.
received_169991311625346.jpeg IMG_20210329_193525117.jpg received_480541883135603.jpeg

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get to work on it yesterday today I scrapped the first brackets I made and made a new set that are a little simpler and fit alot better I also moved it back and down little more. I like how it's sitting now but moving it back causes couple issues first now longer can just lower the mirror and second there's more gap between it and headliner so gotta cover that somehow. The mirror I have a simple solution for. I will make a piece of 8th inch plate that will attach to roof structure behind map light and switch panel, with a couple self tappers and come out between headliner and windshield and go down and behind the light bar and will connect to the shroud to support the middle of it. Then reangle mirrors post upward and attach it to that center brace. The mirror will be about same height as stock but About 3 inches back closer toward seats should be alright like that. started making template for shroud but didn't get far with it yet. This is taking forever to get done but I only get a little time to work on it and I want it to look good so going slow. Gonna focus on finishing mirror bracket first then finish the shroud.
View attachment 274813 View attachment 274814 View attachment 274815
BTW, what are vehicle Safety Inspection Standards in your State? It might not pass due to "Obstructed View" as the lights hang down pretty low into the windsheilds line of sight. You may want to redesign those clips to be easily detachable so if you need to take it off for let's say a Safety Inspection you can just pop it off before the event and then pop it back on after. I bring this up because Hawaii has strict "Reconstruction" standards when it comes to vehicles. Car or truck tires must be within the body of the vehicle, but fender flares remedied that situation. All sorts of crazy shit. You also have to get a special appointment at the only spot that does it and it's a pain in the ass to get to. Just thinking ahead so you don't get ham stringed by the MAN! Aloha!

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, what are vehicle Safety Inspection Standards in your State? It might not pass due to "Obstructed View" as the lights hang down pretty low into the windsheilds line of sight. You may want to redesign those clips to be easily detachable so if you need to take it off for let's say a Safety Inspection you can just pop it off before the event and then pop it back on after. I bring this up because Hawaii has strict "Reconstruction" standards when it comes to vehicles. Car or truck tires must be within the body of the vehicle, but fender flares remedied that situation. All sorts of crazy shit. You also have to get a special appointment at the only spot that does it and it's a pain in the ass to get to. Just thinking ahead so you don't get ham stringed by the MAN! Aloha!

Western New York is normally pretty relaxed when it comes to enforcing vehicle laws. The visors hang lower than the light bar when they are down so I doubt an inspection would be an issue. Worse case might run into a ***** cop who is bored or having a bad day and he will give a "fix it" ticket and I just gotta pull it down for a day have a shop or cop sign the ticket and I can mail it to whatever court and it goes away. Then I can put light back up. I think there's a law saying something about top 6 inches of the windshield for tint or decals Idk if this falls under that same law or not. If I lived in a city or somewhere stricter I would be concerned but round here it should be ok

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 274813 View attachment 274814 View attachment 274815
What is the silver plate in the first pic? I’m guessing part of the console mount?

both of mine had this bracket in place. I learned later that DPS put the light controller up there.

561DF2B6-DE51-42EA-9610-A907E59C71FB.jpeg

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At my dads house couple of minutes ago i decided to test the light bar and hooked jumper to the battery and touched them to the lights wires. Glare wasn't bad. Even on the side that does not have a shroud template. Shines above the hood and i can see insanely far forward and to the sides. My wife joked to shut it off before I blind dad and my kids in the house. She wasn't wrong when I got inside they asked what the light was. Dads exact words were "that's f***ing ridiculous every window in the house was glowing"

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the silver plate in the first pic? I’m guessing part of the console mount?

both of mine had this bracket in place. I learned later that DPS put the light controller up there.

View attachment 274819

Maybe yours is different from the police package? I think the screws went through it I will check tomorrow

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made center bracket for mirror and finished the shroud template. Stopped to get kid from school and get grain. I will cut that out bend and paint it when I get back. this will be done tonight I got to take the burb for an alignment tomorrow morning and I don't want it going with interior pieces missing and wires dangling so I gotta finish.
received_462358948529117.jpeg received_432835918010096.jpeg received_289438499219681.jpeg received_201115628054969.jpeg

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While waiting for paint to dry stopped to go get stuff to make dinner. Got pretty much everything done to where I can assemble it when we get back. Ran the wires through firewall and up the a pillar. I used fuel line to cushion back edge of the shroud and got the seal on the shrouds front edge and foam tape on the bottom of the light bar. I will foam tape the top of the light bar when I make pieces to cover the gap between it and the windshield. I painted on the seal so it don't stick out so much I put a couple of layers of paint before putting on the sealreceived_540966950219953.jpeg received_124316796326097.jpeg received_727484107920852.jpeg received_554682092177272.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645