Light bar inside behind windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk if this is right section to post this but is in the burbs interior. Has anyone seen it done on a nnbs truck burb or hoe? There's a youtube video of a newer chevy truck done that way and there's kits for jeeps to do it. I like the idea of it being inside because can't be stolen as easily,no wind whistling and most importantly no holes in my roof. I just ordered a 50 inch curved light bar and some seals and will grab some 16 gauge sheet metal in a few days next time I go by the local metal supply shop. My plan is to use some 1/8 inch plate I got leftover and make two mounting brackets that connect to my roof where visors attach between visors and headliner. the ends of the light bar will screw to those brackets as high and tight to roof and close to windshield as I can get it. Then I will screw or probably weld a shroud made from 16 gauge sheet metal that covers the sides and bottom of light bar up to the windshield. I will go around the light bar between it and the mounting shroud with half inch thick foam tape to prevent light from leaking around it into the cab. And I will use rubber weather stripping along the front of the shroud to cushion if it ever hits windshield and prevent any glare from leaking out. Inside of the shroud between light bar and windshield will get chrome paint rest will get black hammer paint

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like an awful lot of work to install and shield away inside light reflection. Some folks here have installed light bars behind their front grill.

What is your intended purpose of this light bar?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk if this is right section to post this but is in the burbs interior. Has anyone seen it done on a nnbs truck burb or hoe? There's a youtube video of a newer chevy truck done that way and there's kits for jeeps to do it. I like the idea of it being inside because can't be stolen as easily,no wind whistling and most importantly no holes in my roof. I just ordered a 50 inch curved light bar and some seals and will grab some 16 gauge sheet metal in a few days next time I go by the local metal supply shop. My plan is to use some 1/8 inch plate I got leftover and make two mounting brackets that connect to my roof where visors attach between visors and headliner. the ends of the light bar will screw to those brackets as high and tight to roof and close to windshield as I can get it. Then I will screw or probably weld a shroud made from 16 gauge sheet metal that covers the sides and bottom of light bar up to the windshield. I will go around the light bar between it and the mounting shroud with half inch thick foam tape to prevent light from leaking around it into the cab. And I will use rubber weather stripping along the front of the shroud to cushion if it ever hits windshield and prevent any glare from leaking out. Inside of the shroud between light bar and windshield will get chrome paint rest will get black hammer paint
Honestly sounds like you have it under control..

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trail lightning mostly. And I figured a seal similar to car trunk seals would work against the glass and foam tape on the back should seal off glare decently enough hopefully. And yea a little bit of work but it's a pretty basic fab project hard part will be scribing and matching curve of the windshield.
I seen the ones behind the grill and thought about doing that. I think biggest reason I decided on this instead is I want something different and I like having light mounted higher up

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea, it’s not for me but I’m following your project. Do it! I did install a curved 50” in the lower slot of a NNBS HD front bumper when I removed the lower plastic portion of the bumper and it fit the curve of the bumper almost perfect. I made brackets to mount it out of 3/16” steel so it was solid. I ended up removing the entire bumper and doing something different though, I decided I didn't like it plus it was worthless for light output.

IMG_8725.JPG IMG_8709.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bar in the hd bumper looks good I've seen those if I ever swap an hd front clip on I would do that but not with it on the ground. And was planning on doing windshield by using a transfer scribe and do the cardboard template in 3 or 4 sections that will get taped together before being transferred to metal that's easiest way I know of doing that. The light bar and seals should be delivered by Thursday. Depending what suspension parts arive to keep me busy by then I should be able to work on this next weekend

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea, it’s not for me but I’m following your project. Do it! I did install a curved 50” in the lower slot of a NNBS HD front bumper when I removed the lower plastic portion of the bumper and it fit the curve of the bumper almost perfect. I made brackets to mount it out of 3/16” steel so it was solid. I ended up removing the entire bumper and doing something different though, I decided I didn't like it plus it was worthless for light output.

View attachment 273820 View attachment 273821
I bet the ants hated you though.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be surprised how little flashback you get. I have strobes inside the glass front and rear. The output is likely lower than yours, but with zero sheilding I still don’t have a lot coming back.

8B0C4DC2-6FCC-434A-A552-C67D91974B43.jpeg B1833E07-6EF4-4AA1-B54D-44A03C05A410.jpeg

Reaction score
Are those green (looks green, but colors in pics can be deceiving), and what are they for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasser Ali