Liftgate issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know there are threads on liftgate issues, but I am going to try again. My 2016 Tahoe with 72,000 miles on it has developed sporadic lift gate failures. When the lift gate fails to open or close correctly the DIC reads lift gate switch off and it isn't. So far the dealer has replaced the actuator, the module, both struts, and the latch to no avail. The tech said the module was not sending the signal to the actuator, then he said the module was shorted out. The dealer said they consulted with someone at Chevy, but it is still acting up. Fortunately I purchased a GM extended warranty good to 75,000 miles when I bought the truck. We are over 2K in repairs and still searching for a fix. Any ideas?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough my 2019 has also *suddenly* developed a liftgate issue, although it's not a control issue. Suddenly the tailgate lifting seems labored and the liftgate motor sounds slow. Also occasionally it will have difficulty lifting that first 1' or so and will close instead. I can't tell if 1 of the 2 hydraulic or gas filled struts are failing (the passenger side strut isn't powered) or what the issue is quite yet, but the liftgate has no issues staying fully opened.

Docky50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At least it's opening. I had my brain control module replaced and now the l Iiftgate won't open, my heat/ cool seats went out, and it's not the dust, smh

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My liftgate issues seemingly disappeared since the weather heated up. No movement issues and no noises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter