Liftgate issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know there are threads on liftgate issues, but I am going to try again. My 2016 Tahoe with 72,000 miles on it has developed sporadic lift gate failures. When the lift gate fails to open or close correctly the DIC reads lift gate switch off and it isn't. So far the dealer has replaced the actuator, the module, both struts, and the latch to no avail. The tech said the module was not sending the signal to the actuator, then he said the module was shorted out. The dealer said they consulted with someone at Chevy, but it is still acting up. Fortunately I purchased a GM extended warranty good to 75,000 miles when I bought the truck. We are over 2K in repairs and still searching for a fix. Any ideas?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough my 2019 has also *suddenly* developed a liftgate issue, although it's not a control issue. Suddenly the tailgate lifting seems labored and the liftgate motor sounds slow. Also occasionally it will have difficulty lifting that first 1' or so and will close instead. I can't tell if 1 of the 2 hydraulic or gas filled struts are failing (the passenger side strut isn't powered) or what the issue is quite yet, but the liftgate has no issues staying fully opened.

Docky50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At least it's opening. I had my brain control module replaced and now the l Iiftgate won't open, my heat/ cool seats went out, and it's not the dust, smh

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My liftgate issues seemingly disappeared since the weather heated up. No movement issues and no noises.

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK...My 2016 just started not opening or closing with the switch on/off. Will not open manually. Actuator is unlatching and re-latching when lift gate attempts to open and then close after about 3-5". Nothing appears to be jammed under the gate. I have pulled the actuator plate and the switch is already pushed in. The under bumper sensor/switch opens the actuator and then re-latches when it closes again. I can't get the gate open in order to pull the rear cover off the see the actuator. The glass works fine. I open/close the gate numerous times when I use the truck for my part time business. The struts may or may not be bad; however, I can't get the gate open to inspect. I have lubricated them a couple of times in the past just to ensure they work properly. Any suggestions? I would love to just get the gate open without breaking something.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK...My 2016 just started not opening or closing with the switch on/off. Will not open manually. Actuator is unlatching and re-latching when lift gate attempts to open and then close after about 3-5". Nothing appears to be jammed under the gate. I have pulled the actuator plate and the switch is already pushed in. The under bumper sensor/switch opens the actuator and then re-latches when it closes again. I can't get the gate open in order to pull the rear cover off the see the actuator. The glass works fine. I open/close the gate numerous times when I use the truck for my part time business. The struts may or may not be bad; however, I can't get the gate open to inspect. I have lubricated them a couple of times in the past just to ensure they work properly. Any suggestions? I would love to just get the gate open without breaking something.
you might not have to drill out the hole if you can pull the cover down enough

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine has no dimple to show where to drill. With cover off I see a hole in the actuator that I press with screwdriver and it is stationary. Since the actuator releases and locks shouldn't that mean the actuator works? I don't want to drill exploratory holes; or, am I misunderstanding how this works? There is nothing trapped/jammed under the gate. It acts like the struts are frozen once it opens so far then slams shut. I was/am ready to drill but nothing to show me where.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has no dimple to show where to drill. With cover off I see a hole in the actuator that I press with screwdriver and it is stationary. Since the actuator releases and locks shouldn't that mean the actuator works? I don't want to drill exploratory holes; or, am I misunderstanding how this works? There is nothing trapped/jammed under the gate. It acts like the struts are frozen once it opens so far then slams shut. I was/am ready to drill but nothing to show me where.
there is a dimple there but it is pretty small, if it opens and then closes I would just grab the handle while it is open

Chipmunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Feels like I'll break the struts if I force the door. I'll look again for the dimple. My gate panel is black and I checked it with a flashlight as well as feeling for it. Did not see or feel a dimple. Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2