Level on 17's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fir_Na_Tine

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
Another update for those who might be interested. Finally got new tires. I'll have to wait for new wheels as I had to divert that money to more pressing needs elsewhere.

The tires are Falken Wild Peaks AT3 P285/70R17. They ride great and I think look great too. Even the guy at the tire store was surprised that my Tahoe rode so well. I think the Bilstein 5100 shocks have more to do with that.

Anyhow I went with P Metric instead of the LT. After much debate I felt the P got better rain and snow traction ratings and they were a bit cheaper as well $184.99 a tire. Plus got a $70 mail in rebate for the tires too. The Tahoe won't see much off-roading except for maybe some trails and I don't tow anything so they should be just fine.

Can't wait to get new wheels. Might be a few months or more but I;ll get them.

20180610_185059.jpg 20180610_185045.jpg 20180610_190140.jpg

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
Considering doing the same for my Tahoe. I want to lift it slightly and level it, while keeping my 17’ and 18’ wheels (snow tires for Denver). Only thing keeping from going for it is the gas mileage impact. What are folks seeing in gas mileage before and after a 2.5/1.5 leveling kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nixxxster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My comments here are directed not to the brands selected but rather the comparison between the P-Metric and LT tires.

The LT tires will be physically heavier and more durable and use more air to support the same amount of weight as a P-Metric. You'll almost never get a nail in your tire with an LT in LR E. The depth of the tread blocks is usually about 2/32s more. LTs can be excellent snow tires if they were designed for it. P-Metrics use less air to support the same amount of weight and generally provide a smoother ride but less flexibility in air pressures variances. LT tires are made for varying the air pressure for towing and different off-roading adventures. You can air them down for sandy situations or fill them up for towing. That being said, while an LR E tire has a maximum air pressure of 80 psi, A Tahoe would not need them over 50 psi even while towing. This contributes to longevity. I reckon that because of the many varied ways an LT tire can be used, this is why manufacturers do not put a warranty on them. Warranties are really a sales thing and not really that important when you know what a tire can do. An LT tire is generally not as fuel efficient as a P-Metric because of the additional weight alone. How much less, if any, is dependent on many factors like tread design and weight, not to mention the sizes chosen. Some folks say it's 1-2 mpg in the same tire size. Generally, the P-Metrics will deliver a smoother ride but the differences is marginal and probably very subjective and brand and type dependent.

For example, my KO2s do not have a warranty but most folks get 60,000 miles out of them when aired up properly. I will probably see about 50,000 out of mine because I was stubborn and did not keep enough air in them in the beginning, they wore quickly until I listened to what the BFG Rep told me to do and ignored my justifications for running less!
What PSI are you running on the KO2?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What PSI are you running on the KO2?

Currently have them at 47 psi. Spent most of their life at 49 psi. BFG originally recommended 50 psi and then a few years later changed the recommendation to 42 psi. 42 psi provides enough load capacity to exceed the rear axle weight rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01