LED vanity lights.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dojrs

Reaction score
hey yall
so last night I swapped my vanity mirror light bulbs with LED bulbs. they were operating correctly until i got the 4th one in its correct seating. Then they went dim, then a couple of moments later they just went to nothing. I was enjoying the surface of the sun brightness they were putting out. any ideas what it could be ? they are not can-bus bulbs that I'm aware of. should i have gotten can-bus bulbs ? And before everyone starts asking if i checked the fuses, No I have not as of yet. It was late and I just left it as is until I get off duty this evening. Just looking for a place to start trouble shooting.

I also swapped the rear turn signals with LED bulbs and when I checked the turn signal performance it was doing a fast flash not a slow flash like it should be. thinking that's because i havent swapped the front turn signal bulbs to LED yet. would that be a correct assumption or should i just put the incandescent bulb back in for turn signals ?

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall
so last night I swapped my vanity mirror light bulbs with LED bulbs. they were operating correctly until i got the 4th one in its correct seating. Then they went dim, then a couple of moments later they just went to nothing. I was enjoying the surface of the sun brightness they were putting out. any ideas what it could be ? they are not can-bus bulbs that I'm aware of. should i have gotten can-bus bulbs ? And before everyone starts asking if i checked the fuses, No I have not as of yet. It was late and I just left it as is until I get off duty this evening. Just looking for a place to start trouble shooting.

I also swapped the rear turn signals with LED bulbs and when I checked the turn signal performance it was doing a fast flash not a slow flash like it should be. thinking that's because i havent swapped the front turn signal bulbs to LED yet. would that be a correct assumption or should i just put the incandescent bulb back in for turn signals ?

There's a module under the dash that affects your 'fast flash' issue, too - I can't remember specifics about it, I need to find the thread that talks about that, because I've got a fast-flash on the right after putting in my LED DRLs...

AND... in addition I have problems with my cruise control, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I think I read this can be affected with the same issue. I didn't know that was part of it, but I don't remember if that started at the same time as my DRL LED swap.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
hey yall

To correct the turn signal hyper flash you'll need to wire in resistors on each rear bulb.resister.jpg d235f156e8e6c2d7efd3672ba73a8507_417179944940647.jpg

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
Well damn!!! Thanks y’all, I’ll just put the incandescents back in the turn signals

anyone have any ideas on the vanity bulbs ?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well damn!!! Thanks y’all, I’ll just put the incandescents back in the turn signals

anyone have any ideas on the vanity bulbs ?
Blown fuse, you broke something inserting the bulbs...

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you this is what I was thinking of, it's under the dash - but if memory serves, there are 2 versions and you have to check which one you have first? I don't have my truck back yet to check mine... so I will be doing that when I get it back, but my plan was to research on here the thread - I can't remember which thread I saw the discussion in, because I think it talked about the two types.

<edit> I will say, I put in LED rears and never had the hyperflash issue because I bought them as a whole module and I assume the box that comes with them has resistors in it to prevent the hyperflash. I really do not want to do manually-wired resistors.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
tRidiot
i'm the same as you in not liking manually wired resistors.

S33k3r: ive never seen a fuse slowly blow the way these were "glowing" they looked to have been at may 1/2 power then all the sudden nothing at all. nut before i had the 4th bulb in i had full power to all of them.

does anyone know what fuse to check for off the top of their head for the vanity lights ?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey yall

I'm going through this same exact thing with my '07. Somehow a fuse blew during or after the LED install. Still trying to figure out what happened. I put the incandescents back in and replaced the fuse. Plan on looking at it again over the weekend and try to get the LED's installed correctly and working right.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest evaluating the current requirements of the LEDs and comparing that to the incandescent. I'd also look at how much heat they put out. Finally, at best you're dealing with a 14+ year old vehicle; it's possible the years have taken their toll on the wiring of these lights, and messing with them sent the damage over the edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts