Leaking shocks.. magneride. Work with us GM!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WJK1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need to vent. I know this isn’t in the suspension forum and plenty of others have discussed. Wish we could get some action on this.

Just hit 40,000 miles on my 2015 LTZ. Front shocks leaking. Seems like a major issue with magneride. Denali, Escalade and the Chevy and GMC trucks too. Has anyone gotten decent mileage out of theirs before experiencing leaks and rough ride? Really seems like something GM should address. Cost of repair is outrageous- $1800 for fronts. Failure is happening much sooner than I ever experienced with shocks or struts in my many miles of driving.

I’ll end up pulling them off and taking to a shop to compress the springs if GM won’t work with me on price. Easy enough to get them out. Really just disappointed on the quality. Definitely take into consideration when I spend another $70k on a vehicle.

tdowns12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having my RF shock replaced now on my 15i Denali with 83k miles. Extended Platinum warranty ran out at 75k. I'm also having repeated fuel injector issues. My bill is $1800 total though so you may want to check the shop charges on your quote. I'll be following up personally with GM Customer Care as they're generally receptive towards finding a middle ground especially for repeat buyers of their most expensive models. The dealer won't do a single thing for you so don't bother.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 41k miles, I've had all 4 struts replaced already. Dealer changed the fronts about 6 months ago and rears this time around. Said they were "stuck" in the up position.

OP
OP
WJK1

WJK1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 41k miles, I've had all 4 struts replaced already. Dealer changed the fronts about 6 months ago and rears this time around. Said they were "stuck" in the up position.

Wow. Not good. What did they charge for the repair?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
christ you can buy the shock part that goes bad for like $300 off rockauto, compress the spring or have a shop with a spring compressor do it and save yourself a whole bunch of money

Last edited:

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not good. What did they charge for the repair?

Covered under warranty. I think the warranty is to 45-50k miles, something like that. I just signed up for an extended warranty today, an additional 3 years, just in case.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
christ you can buy the shock part that goes bad for like $300 off rockauto, compress the spring or have a shop with a spring compressor do it and save yourself a whole bunch of money

Though I'm capable, and would do it if I didn't have a warranty. Not every one has a garage stocked with proper tools to do this correctly, PLUS the car had to get aligned after they did it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though I'm capable, and would do it if I didn't have a warranty. Not every one has a garage stocked with proper tools to do this correctly, PLUS the car had to get aligned after they did it.
even just buying the parts and having a shop install them saves you about half of what the dealer will charge and you get lifetime warranty on the exact same oem part from rockauto, I am just sharing this information is all, you can always just go pay more.

OP
OP
WJK1

WJK1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
even just buying the parts and having a shop install them saves you about half of what the dealer will charge and you get lifetime warranty on the exact same oem part from rockauto, I am just sharing this information is all, you can always just go pay more.

I plan to go the RockAuto route if GM won’t do anything. I was told it’s a wear item and warranty won’t cover. My bumper to bumper expired last year. Appreciate you pulling the price. RockAuto is the cheapest out there so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE