"Laying Back" with 6" Fabtech Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaeden

Reaction score
Alright guys so I have a question.

I'm interested in "squatting" the rear of my Tahoe. I know it's a very controversial topic and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. I like it on some things, and not on others. That being said, I'd like to see how it would look on my Tahoe. I can always level it back out if I don't like it.

So just for a little further information, because I'm sure this is important:
6" Fabtech Lift (Presumably Has Lift Shocks, Lift was Installed when before by previous owner)
20x12 Wheels on 33" Tires

So I pulled the rear coil springs out today (to sandblast and paint, they looked really rough), and set the vehicle back down after pulling the springs and it sat a LITTLE lower in the rear. Honestly not as much as I thought it would, however the rear end is now sitting on the shock. Meaning the shock is fully compressed and presumably the entirety of the rear weight of the vehicle is resting on the shocks at the moment. With that being said, I obviously don't plan to drive it like that. I imagine it's horrible for all kinds of things.

I thought about putting factory coil springs in so that there was still support there, but assumably less lift, however after seeing how little difference there was when completely removing the springs, I'm doubting that this would even make a difference. At this point I'm a little bit lost as to what it would take to lower it a little further. Factory coil springs and shocks perhaps?

Again, I know this is a very touchy subject and I'm not asking anyone to like it. Just asking to respect my decision to at least see how it looks on my vehicle. So any suggestions on what it would take to "remove" a little more of the lift from the rear safely?

Thanks guys!

PFA
JNzlBUY.jpg

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much lean are you looking for? Could go one of two ways. Can lift the front end some, lift keys, or lower the rear with a smaller coil or can even run your factory coil with a spacer to give you a lean. They sell coil spacer between like 1"-3"

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Reaction score
How much lean are you looking for? Could go one of two ways. Can lift the front end some, lift keys, or lower the rear with a smaller coil or can even run your factory coil with a spacer to give you a lean. They sell coil spacer between like 1"-3"

I’d really rather not lift the front just because I don’t wanna mess with my CV axles anymore. I seem to snap a CV every time I put it in 4WD regardless or how easy or hard I am on it. That leads me to believe there’s clearly a problem somewhere up front, I just haven’t gotten that far yet.

What about removing the lift coil spring from the rear and just putting a stock spring in? No spacers, just purely the stock spring? Would I need to replace the lift shocks with stock shocks or would there be enough travel to still allow me to use them?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Reaction score
Here’s a pic for reference as to where I’d LIKE for it to be. This is with NO rear coil springs. It’s currently resting on the fully compressed shocks right now. Don’t worry, I’m not driving it. This was purely to get an idea of how it would sit. But this is about what I’m looking for.

4b9d521ec22259763c2f581b384c4b27.jpg

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could run a stock spring and shock set up. Would ride like it did when stock.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Reaction score
You could run a stock spring and shock set up. Would ride like it did when stock.

What if I ran stock springs, could I still run lift shocks?

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be able to but they could be too long. Easiest thing would be to swap the springs and lower it down and see how much travel is in the shock.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Reaction score
Might be able to but they could be too long. Easiest thing would be to swap the springs and lower it down and see how much travel is in the shock.

Gotcha. Thanks!

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, good looking truck. And if you wanted to go even lower in the rear find some none z71 coils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr