Larger Battery Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 4 year old battery before winter sets in and was wondering if anyone had installed a larger battery in place of the small stock size.

I searched but for some reason come up with too many results to be practical.

Anyway, I'm wondering about installing an H7 group battery, it's about the equivalent of a Group 78 that I'm used to in my older generation vehicles. The stock battery is a group 48/H6 that measures 11" wide and the H7 is about an inch and a half longer at 12.44"

On a side note, it seems walmart is offering an AGM now. Cheaper than the competitors and a 2 year pro-rated warranty on top of the 3 year free replacement.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima Red top theyve never failed me
and order one off amazon because just incase you do get a dud amazon will overnight a new one and you dont even have to worry about sending the bad one back or any of that mumbo jumbo

OP
OP
Wake

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No more Optimas for me. Every single one I've had made in the last 10 years has been complete junk. Ever since they moved production to Mexico.

My first Optima, made in the U.S. lasted 7 years and was still going strong when I traded the car in. Every other one, half dozen or so failed during the free replacement period and failed again after the 3 years (warranty doesn't restart when they swap it out).

I have one Optima left and when that gives up the ghost I'll be Optima free from that point forward. That one by the way is a replacement for the one that failed at a year old and it was a real hassle to get swapped out.

What I'm trying to figure out is if an H7 size battery will fit. I can't find any information out there even on a web-wide search. I may just have to buy one and see if it fits.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i guess its kind of a 50 50 chancee with optima these days some people have nothing but trouble some people there rock solid
i think what happened when they moved there production to mexico the quality control just went down the tubes
so like when they were made here 1 in 20 probably got tested now in mexico probably 1 in 100 get tested

OP
OP
Wake

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i guess its kind of a 50 50 chancee with optima these days some people have nothing but trouble some people there rock solid
i think what happened when they moved there production to mexico the quality control just went down the tubes
so like when they were made here 1 in 20 probably got tested now in mexico probably 1 in 100 get tested

Believe it or not the best luck I've had with batteries after dumping Optima several years ago is with the Walmart Everstart brand of battery I mentioned. Now I'm intrigued as they make an AGM battery. I think it must be pretty new though as I'm not finding them in stock in any of the Walmarts within 50 miles.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
if your looking for more power for your trucks accessories then a larger alternator or double if they make kits for them would be the best. Larger alts will help with increased load of extra lights, bigger stereo systems and help if you tow a trailer on a fairly regular basis.

Edit:
You could also look into adding another battery if there is room under hood or get a sealed gel battery like optima or look into the performance series that the bigger competitors use for audio competitions and put that in your cabin somewhere.

RB Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 4 year old battery before winter sets in and was wondering if anyone had installed a larger battery in place of the small stock size.

Anyway, I'm wondering about installing an H7 group battery, it's about the equivalent of a Group 78 that I'm used to in my older generation vehicles. The stock battery is a group 48/H6 that measures 11" wide and the H7 is about an inch and a half longer at 12.44"

On a side note, it seems walmart is offering an AGM now. Cheaper than the competitors and a 2 year pro-rated warranty on top of the 3 year free replacement.
Did you try replacing your H6 battery with an H7 size? I'm about to replace my current H6 size and would like to install an H7 if it will fit.

RB Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I want to replace my H6 size battery with an H7 size, will it fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879