Lack of NAV voice prompts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, had a bit of bad news at the dealership today.
My new to me 2009 Sierra Denali turned out to not be fully loaded after all. I have been having an issue with the NAV system not providing voice prompts and I thought it was due to my GMX550 lockpick install.
Soo, I removed the Lockpick and still did not have voice prompts. No big deal, I'll just take it to the Dealer and get it fixed. Dealer called me after 2 days and informed me that the NAV unit was a dealer add on unit and was not covered under warranty and most likely will not ever work correctly.
Whoa, was I torqued! I checked the VIN info on Compnine and sure enough, no NAV.
Everything seems to work fine except that there are no voice prompts and no XM traffic option (don't really care about the XM traffic).
My question is this, does anyone have any ideas as to why everything works except the NAV voice prompts? The chimes all seem to work, the RSE integration is flawless, the XM works great as well as the Bluetooth integration. My wife has a 2009 Tahoe with factory NAV so I have the exact same system to compare it to side by side and the previously mentioned 2 items are the only issues. I REALLY want the voice prompts to work. Is it something simple like the original dealership installed the wrong VSS/VCM harness or a programming issue?
I guess when I put things in perspective, if this is the biggest issue in my life, I'm doing pretty good. However, I am a perfectionist and little things like this drive me up the wall.
Thanks for listening and hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject for me.

Donnie

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure some other members here will be able to offer some additional information. However, just by reading your post it is in my opinion that it could be a simple wire connection of the voice harness. I believe this is the red and black wires that are connected to the Onstar Module (please correct me if I am wrong). I will provide some directions and pictures below for your reference. Please note that these are not my pictures or directions, but rather from information that I have gathered elsewhere. There is a reference to a gray connector. I know these wires can be purchased on eBay HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all vehicles require a VSS kit. The VSS Kit was developed to solve 3 potential problems that might occur after installation.

1. GPS Tracking:
a. The navigation display doesn’t accurately follow me down the highway.
b. My current location vs. what’s being displayed on the navigation screen seems to be different.

2. Voice Commands:
a. After I input a destination and while I’m driving to that destination – the navigation system only gives me one voice command saying “Proceed to the highlighted route”.

3. Voice Recognition:
a. When I speak into the microphone to change a function on the navigation unit, the system doesn’t detect my voice.

VSS KIT INSTALLATION – VOICE RECOGNITION
(GREY CONNECTOR)

Using screwdrivers gently pry out the plastic side clips holding the Onstar box in place to release it. Use another screwdriver to lift up the front of the box so it can be pulled out.
Note: The box will not come out very far.

Select the VSS Kit GREY connector with the red (or white) & black wires with the female pins on the ends. This connector plugs into the back of the Onstar box. There will be an empty slot near the middle of the rear of the Onstar box.
Note: Some VSS kits come with a red wire, some come with a white wire. They serve the same purpose, just a different color.

Slide the red (or white) wire with the female pin into the back of #1 connector pin 4.
Slide the black wire with the female pin into the back of #1 connector pin 5.

Re-install the Onstar box

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that is all the problem consists of doing. Let us know how it goes! Good luck!!

Attachments

• Onstar Module.jpg
    Onstar Module.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Wire Connections.jpg
    Wire Connections.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
D

dragland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No THIS is the kind of info I've been looking for.
Thank you so much, I'm going to contact the guy right now.

I'll keep you posted.

Donnie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz