KYB, I'm a fan now!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed out my struts and shocks with KYB's Gas-A-Just line. The front came complete with springs, and fully assembled. I have to say I was trying to decided between Bilstein and KYB. It was a tough decision, but I feel good about it. The truck feels like new, and a real pleasure to drive now. If you are trying to decide, I don't think you will be disappointed either way.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am looking at those for the front of my NBS, and will probably will pull the trigger after I get a chance to install the new sway bar links and bushings. Hopefully the bushings and links firm things up a bit. Keepin' the Nivomats on the rears.

Last edited:

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used KYB’s on several of my cars over the years and was never disappointed in any of them.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same setup on my 08, Rock auto KYB kit.. definitely an improvement over the 185K mile stock stuff I had on there but they seem to be a bit lacking on rough roads and all the crappy pavement around Philadelphia. perfect setup for 90% of Tahoe/Yukon owners

StatutoryAPE

Reaction score
I just changed out my struts and shocks with KYB's Gas-A-Just line. The front came complete with springs, and fully assembled. I have to say I was trying to decided between Bilstein and KYB. It was a tough decision, but I feel good about it. The truck feels like new, and a real pleasure to drive now. If you are trying to decide, I don't think you will be disappointed either way.
I've got the same ones also. Love them too I've always liked kyb stuff for at least 13 years

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just put a set of KYB shocks on my 2005 Tahoe. Like night and day difference over the worn out original shocks. I will reserve complete judgement till after I get 10k on them. Even at 68 years old, I drive the crap out of my rig. So far it has not let me down.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYB isn’t bad. The Bilsteins are definitely better but they’re also more expensive. I would definitely choose KYB over the junk Dorman, Monroe, Gabriel, and the Arnott passives. The biggest thing people don’t think about is the springs. You probably got more out of having new springs than the new shocks. Quality suspension is priceless.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agreed, but to me, the biggest thing that makes the difference in handling and can be felt immediately upon the installation, are the sway bar assemblies. That is next in line for me and then some new tires. I know springs make a big difference as well though. Plus, I do agree with your statement, "Quality suspension is priceless".

I used to run shops and I had kids coming in to my shops wanting to go fast and increase performance. I told them I can do engine work and fuel system work and bolt on "cubic dollars" but it is all crap unless the suspension and brakes can handle it all. Some of them understood and addressed my recommendations but some did not and then I saw them after the fact wanting to "increase handling". I think that happened after they got a little "hairy" and pried their ass from the "puckering action" attached to their driver's seat.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just put a set of KYB shocks on my 2005 Tahoe. Like night and day difference over the worn out original shocks. I will reserve complete judgement till after I get 10k on them. Even at 68 years old, I drive the crap out of my rig. So far it has not let me down.

Which ones did you get? I have a set of KYB's (KG5040 Gas-A-Just for my Premium Smooth Ride) sitting here waiting for a warm day for install on the front. Sure looking forward to getting them on the rig and testing them. Might do 'em tomorrow since it will be the only warm day for the next couple of weeks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Which ones did you get? I have a set of KYB's (KG5040 Gas-A-Just for my Premium Smooth Ride) sitting here waiting for a warm day for install on the front. Sure looking forward to getting them on the rig and testing them. Might do 'em tomorrow since it will be the only warm day for the next couple of weeks.

These for the front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=503589&cc=1431156&jsn=1493

These for the rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=503668&cc=1431156&jsn=1495

My plans are to do some more research and get performance front and rear sway bar kits and do the rear springs at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j